cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup in secondary external drive

backup in secondary external drive

zziippii
Explorer | Level 4

hello,

I am using dropbox

it is synced to my laptop

I am syncing only the folders needed all others are only on cloud and not copied to laptop drive

I want to have a cbackup of all my dropbox on external drive

I want it to be synced from time to time when I will plugin the drive the sync process will find the delta and sync all dropbox to the drive.

how can I do it?

I dont want the content of the drive to be backedup to dropbox - I need the opposite direction, from dropbox to drive

also

I want to continue sync dropbox to my laptop, just need a secondary backup

please assist 

Thank you

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@zziippii wrote:

I want to have a cbackup of all my dropbox on external drive

I want it to be synced from time to time when I will plugin the drive the sync process will find the delta and sync all dropbox to the drive.

Dropbox doesn't have that functionality. If you were syncing all of your files to your laptop you could use any backup method you liked to copy the files from your Dropbox folder to your external drive, but since you're not syncing all of your files, the only way to do it would be to manually download the files from the Dropbox website and save them to the external drive.

zziippii
Explorer | Level 4

thank you.

but what will happen in the future when I will plugin the drive in order to sync the changes?

the purpose is to have another external drive as a backup and it will be synced from time to time to latest content of my dropbox so it will be updated and be sure to have backup of the cloud.

I hope there is a way or workaround for it

what if I will install another instance of dropbox on my laptop that will be connected to this drive? and every time I plugin the drive this instance will make the sync to the drive?

Rich
Super User II

@zziippii wrote:

but what will happen in the future when I will plugin the drive in order to sync the changes?

That would depend on how you backed up the files in the first place, and since Dropbox doesn't have that capability, we really can't provide an answer.

what if I will install another instance of dropbox on my laptop that will be connected to this drive? and every time I plugin the drive this instance will make the sync to the drive?

Dropbox does not (and cannot) work like that. Dropbox doesn't have the means to create a backup to another drive. It itself can backup an external drive to your Dropbox, but not the other way around.

You're going to need to come up with your own solution or find a third-party app that will accomplish it for you.

zziippii
Explorer | Level 4

thank you

very bad

paying for getting full solution... 

i am surprised that no such requirement from customers to dropbox

since I guess I am not the only ont to concern what will happen if dropbox will lost all its servers... disasters can happen...

zziippii
Explorer | Level 4

hello,

I am using dropbox on my laptop for daily use

not syncing all folders as dont need spend space if not in use

but

I want to have a backup to all my dropbox on external drive so the cloud will be fully backedup

there is an option for the opposite direction - sync from external to cloud but this option supported

in other words I need the cloud to be backedup/synced to more then one drive.

Thanks,

Tzipi

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @zziippii, I sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that the Dropbox external drive backup is supposed to be a backup of your stuff, so while it's not cloud to drive, we can do backups drive to Dropbox so there's still 2. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

zziippii
Explorer | Level 4

hello,

thank you for you response

but what in case of disaster ? I would like to be sure I have all my stuff in 2 locations

one is dropbox

and another on physical drive.

thanks,

tzipi

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @zziippii, currently, there isn't an official method to backup your Dropbox account to an external drive. 

There may be some third party apps or services that can provide this method for you using the Dropbox API.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

zziippii
Explorer | Level 4

thank you

I would like to suggest it as am important feature.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    zziippii Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?