cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared link

Shared link

Asharaf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Support Team,

I'm developing a module to download publicly shared files or folders and tried it with multiple APIs but have not succussed.
 I've created an App in the console and have Appkey and Secret Key, Is there any way to download files of public URLs without access token in c#?

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Asharaf,

To create shared link(s) to either file(s) or folder(s) you can use corresponding methods. For an idea in Python, you can take a look here. Every received link, in such a way, points to preview page (not the actual file or folder)! To download pointed content, you need to 'transform' preview link to download link. Just replace the ending parameter (dl) value from 0 to 1 (i.e. replace ending "?dl=0" to "?dl=1") and you can download using whatever method convenient for you. One more thing you should take in mind is that your web client should support redirection (codes 3XX - that Dropbox uses - not only 2XX)!

Good luck.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Asharaf,

To create shared link(s) to either file(s) or folder(s) you can use corresponding methods. For an idea in Python, you can take a look here. Every received link, in such a way, points to preview page (not the actual file or folder)! To download pointed content, you need to 'transform' preview link to download link. Just replace the ending parameter (dl) value from 0 to 1 (i.e. replace ending "?dl=0" to "?dl=1") and you can download using whatever method convenient for you. One more thing you should take in mind is that your web client should support redirection (codes 3XX - that Dropbox uses - not only 2XX)!

Good luck.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Asharaf As Здравко mentioned, you can download directly from Dropbox shared links by modifying the shared links for direct access. You can find the documentation for doing so in the help center here.

Asharaf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Support,

I changed parameter dl=0" to "?dl=1" and downloaded the file using RestClient in c#.

What is the maximum file size I can download?

Best Regards

Asharaf

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Asharaf There isn't an individual file size download limit, but there is an overall per-account per-day limit on the amount of bandwidth that can be used for shared links. You can find information on those limits here.

Download connections that take a long time may also eventually time out, but we don't have specific numbers documented for that. If a connection is closed before the download is completed though, you can use range requests to download the rest of the data.

Also, there are limits on the size of files that can be uploaded using different methods to begin with. You can find information on those here.

Asharaf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the support 😊.

Will drop a message here if any.

Best Regards,

Asharaf

Need more support?