cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access shared file

Cannot access shared file

jorjbotezat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

I try to get the temporary URL using the "get_temporary_link " with an id from a file that is shared with me and every time I got this response:

409: {"error_summary": "path/not_found/.", "error": {".tag": "path", "path": {".tag": "not_found"}}}.

If I share the folder of the file, the request will be successful. Did you change recently this flow?

I discovered also the download file is not working anymore. The endpoint that I tried is  "/files/download".

Have a nice day 

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like you're attempting to call /2/files/get_temporary_link on a file that has been individually shared with you, i.e., a "received" file, such as listed by /2/sharing/list_received_files. As this isn't mounted anywhere in your account, this 'path/not_found' error is expected, since the file is not available in your account's file/folder structure and so cannot be accessed that way. This would also apply to /2/files/download. Adding a shared folder containing the file mounts that shared folder in your account, making the file available in your account, so the calls can then succeed.

I don't believe this behavior changed recently. You can instead use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file and pass in the "preview_url" (e.g., from /2/sharing/list_received_files) as the "url" to download the file though.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@jorjbotezat wrote:

I try to get the temporary URL using the "get_temporary_link " ...

If I share the folder of the file, the request will be successful. ...

Hi @jorjbotezat,

Are you certain your description matches exactly what you have done? What actually means "folder of the file"? I'm assuming the folder is the one containing the file. In all cases /2/files/get_temporary_link can be used only for files!!! Trying to use it for a folder will result to error, something like:

{
  "error_summary": "path/not_file/...",
  "error": {
    ".tag": "path",
    "path": {
      ".tag": "not_file"
    }
  }
}

Describe what actually you are doing and provide a way (exact steps - sequence of calls) to reproduce the issue (whatever it is). "not_found" usually means you're trying to point something that doesn't exist. Did you check that your file exists actually and the credentials (you use) have granted access to there?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?