cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too many requests to add members

too many requests to add members

karolo4206
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I tried to use python to add a member to a folder. Everything worked fine at first, but unfortunately I misused the tool. Because instead of using a separate method for sending email messages, I added the same member every hour so that an email would be sent using add member and the custom message option. Now I have set up gmail to send emails, but I need to add a member once in a while. At first I have to add a few members and then maybe one per month. But unfortunately I can't add any anymore, when I try to do it from the browser level, I get the message "Folder updates in progress. Please try again later." I think I have done too many add operations and have it blocked now. Do you know if I will be able to add members again in some time. What should I do to unlock this feature?

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you're referring to using sharing_add_folder_member to add a member to a shared folder, there is a AddFolderMemberError.rate_limit that applies per 24 hours. Please wait 24 hours and try again.

Otherwise, regarding any particular error you're seeing regarding files/folders on the Dropbox web site, please reach out to support.

karolo4206
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I refer to sharing_add_folder_member. I use it as follows.

member_selector = dropbox.sharing.MemberSelector.email(<email_address>)
add_member =  dropbox.sharing.AddMember(member_selector,dropbox.sharing.AccessLevel.viewer)
members = [add_member]
dbx.sharing_add_folder_member(<shared_folder_id>, members)

Previously, it worked fine, but now the script runs endlessly. It doesn't return any error. Am I doing something wrong that doesn't return an error?
From the dropbox interface in the browser, it returns the error "Folder updates in progress. Please try again later."

Maybe there are some pending invites or I have been banned. But how can I check it?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The sharing_add_folder_member method should either return a result, or raise an exception. I can't say based on this snippet what is happening with your code execution flow, so I recommend stepping through with a debugger to see where it is hanging or infinitely looping. Let me know if something is broken in the Dropbox API/SDK itself when you do so and we can investigate.

In any case, I can only help with the API itself, so for any questions or help regarding your account state itself, please contact support.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    karolo4206 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?