cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Check job status: how often and for how long

Check job status: how often and for how long

josuegomes
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I understand that some operations can be asynchronous (eg, /2/sharing/share_folder or /2/sharing/remove_folder_member).

My question is: how often should I check for the job status (/2/sharing/check_job/status) ? And for how long until it can be considered failed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There isn't a specific period you should use when polling a job status like this, but in general just a few seconds would be reasonable, say 1-3 seconds between calls to check. If you know it's a particularly large job and may take longer, you might want to make that a little longer.

If any particular job fails, the result should come back as 'failed'. Be sure to check the relevant documentation, e.g., for /2/sharing/check_job_status or /2/sharing/check_share_job_status, for the full information. Any particular job shouldn't stay 'in_progress' permanently, but if something does seem to be permanently stuck as 'in_progress', let us know so we can investigate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There isn't a specific period you should use when polling a job status like this, but in general just a few seconds would be reasonable, say 1-3 seconds between calls to check. If you know it's a particularly large job and may take longer, you might want to make that a little longer.

If any particular job fails, the result should come back as 'failed'. Be sure to check the relevant documentation, e.g., for /2/sharing/check_job_status or /2/sharing/check_share_job_status, for the full information. Any particular job shouldn't stay 'in_progress' permanently, but if something does seem to be permanently stuck as 'in_progress', let us know so we can investigate.

Need more support?