cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing with dbx.sharing_create_shared_link

File sharing with dbx.sharing_create_shared_link

venkate
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to create a sharable link for files in shared folders with visibility control, using Dropbox API

the code I use is 

shared_link_metadata = dbx.sharing_create_shared_link("/2. Info/02. GEC-W2B-BMD-GEC-003642-20190127_Weekly Commodity Tracker_P227_TemplateR5.xlsx")
shared_link_metadata.url

with this I can get the sharable link with public visibility, However i want to generate links that are only visible to the user with access to the shared folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, note that sharing_create_shared_link is deprecated in favor of sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings.

For this use case, it sounds like you may want to create the link like this:

dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings(path=path, settings=dropbox.sharing.SharedLinkSettings(audience=dropbox.sharing.LinkAudience.no_one))

The "no_one" audience means that the link itself does not grant access; the user would need to have access to the file already, e.g., via the parent shared folder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, note that sharing_create_shared_link is deprecated in favor of sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings.

For this use case, it sounds like you may want to create the link like this:

dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings(path=path, settings=dropbox.sharing.SharedLinkSettings(audience=dropbox.sharing.LinkAudience.no_one))

The "no_one" audience means that the link itself does not grant access; the user would need to have access to the file already, e.g., via the parent shared folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?