cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Share Link Before Upload Completes

Getting Share Link Before Upload Completes

edh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

Is it possible to add a file to dropbox and get the share link *before* the upload completes?

We're adding video files, which may take several minutes to upload, so having the user wait is a bit painful.

This seems to work fine on the desktop - if I drag a large file into a Dropbox folder, I can immediately get the "Copy Dropbox Link" (and if I use the link I just see a File Uploading page - which is fine for us), but I can't figure out a way to do this with the APIs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No, I'm afraid I can't think of another workaround for this. Using the deprecated endpoint or using a placeholder file are the only things that come to mind.

The shared links can't be "computed" exactly, since the token in the URL is randomly generated only when the link is created.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This is technically possible using the 'pending_upload' parameter on /2/sharing/create_shared_link, but that endpoint is deprecated.

There isn't currently a non-deprecated way of getting a shared link for a pending file like this, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

edh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you think of any other work-aounds for this?  Would uploading a small (like 1 byte) file, getting the share link, then replacing it with the full video file (same file name) work?

thanks again

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That should technically work, but I don't recommend it, since it makes the process less obvious/more error prone. For instance, it may make it less obvious if the actual file upload failed, since the the file would appear to already be there as far as the user can see, if they don't check the file size. The user may then download the temporary file without realizing it isn't the real file.

edh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks again, Greg.

Any other suggestions or workarounds you can think of for this?

Breaking up the user's workflow like this waiting for a download link is a non-starter for us.  (and as a user myself, it's painful! 😉 )

Is there anyway to compute what the final share link will be, or anything elase we could try?

Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No, I'm afraid I can't think of another workaround for this. Using the deprecated endpoint or using a placeholder file are the only things that come to mind.

The shared links can't be "computed" exactly, since the token in the URL is randomly generated only when the link is created.

Steve L.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What would be very helpful would be an atomic batchUploadFiles which created and returned share links for all of the URLs in the uploadFilesUrlsToCommitInfo dictionary (to use Obj-C terminology).

This would simplify sharing a batch of files, reducing both latency and the number of requests needed.

Consider this a feature request 🙂

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Steve L. Thanks! I'll send that along.

Terryble
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Would also love to see a solution to this.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Terryble Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Steve L. Helpful | Level 6
    edh Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?