cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the file type of a file in Dropbox account.

How to get the file type of a file in Dropbox account.

trithanhnguyen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I need to get the detail information of a file in the Dropbox account.  There are 2 fields I could not find in the file metadata are:

- File version number.

- File type.

For the file version, I can have the revision number on that filed, even though it is kind of strange because it a string of letters not a string of numbers. But for a file type (as MIME types), I could not find that information. Can I get that information for Dropbox Java SDK?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API does not offer an integer version number. It offers the "rev" value, which can be used to detect changes, but is not a monotonically increasing integer. Check out the Detecting Changes Guide if you're interested in how to use the Dropbox API to monitor changes to files/folders.

The Dropbox API also doesn't offer mime types for files, but you can get the file extension from the file name and keep your own file extension to mime type mapping as desired.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API does not offer an integer version number. It offers the "rev" value, which can be used to detect changes, but is not a monotonically increasing integer. Check out the Detecting Changes Guide if you're interested in how to use the Dropbox API to monitor changes to files/folders.

The Dropbox API also doesn't offer mime types for files, but you can get the file extension from the file name and keep your own file extension to mime type mapping as desired.

trithanhnguyen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Got it.

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

trithanhnguyen Helpful | Level 6
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?