cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't find "File Requests API"

can't find "File Requests API"

c. cody
New member | Level 1

not yet?

51 Replies 51

ksz
New member | Level 2

Adding another +1, there is my scenario:

• I have Dropbox File request - everyone can upload whatever he/she want, but every upload is invisible to others.
  • It is ok to upload whatever, but I want help upload users exactly what I need. And I need three things: request text, request area, and... attachments. And all of this should be uploaded to my account.
  • I can imagine Single Page Application (HTML5+JavaScript) where user enters text, draws area on the map, selects attachmets and then upload it all to Dropbox.
  • It would be easy with File request API

Without File request API I see two options:

1. Provide Oauth credentials in JavaScirpt code. It means that everybody could have acces to files uploaded by others (even delete it). So, it is not an option.
  2. Develop server-side component for my app, which does notihing more than securely transfer data to Dropbox

Second approach is is what I'm doing right now. It is not cost-effective: you have to use SSL connection, and provide double transfer bandwidth (upload from client to my server and then transfer it to Dropbox). There is a lot server-side programming trics like upload limits on both sides (browser and server config). This all would be unnecessary if there will be Drobpox File request API.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Visrez O.
New member | Level 2

My company would also take the advantage of using this feature programatically. We use Dropbox to collect assets from clients.

Cheri P.
New member | Level 1

Add another +1 vote for an API to create a file request and also to upload a file to the newly created fie request folder. Below is my scenario.

I'm the web developer for a small graduate school. The website includes an online application form. Besides the form, an applicant must also submit an essay, letters of reference, and official transcripts. Once everything has been submitted, a committee of 5 faculty review all the documents and make a decision regarding admission.

When an application is submitted online, I'd like to automate the following:

1. save the form data to a database, assign an ID number, and create a PDF of the application;
  2. create a File Request in Dropbox using the ID number as the folder name and grant the committee members access to view the documents;
  3. upload the PDF of the application form to the newly created File Request folder;
  4. send an email to the applicant and to each of the people who will be writing references with a link to the newly created File Request folder;
  5. send an email to the committee members with a link to view the documents in the newly created File Request folder.

Step one is already automated, but for now we will have to manually do steps 2-5. It would be immensely helpful if the API provided a way for us to automate the whole process. That way the folder would be created, the emails sent, and the references received without any delay, waiting on staff intervention. 

I can't stress enough how useful this feature would be!   

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional feedback!

Cheri, by the way, it sounds like you should be able to implement your system using the existing Dropbox API, without the use of file requests. That is, the Dropbox API lets you programmatically, create and share folders, as well as directly upload and download files to and from accounts.

Cheri P.
New member | Level 1

Yes, the existing API allows me to create, share and upload to folders. However, my understanding is that the shared folder would allow anyone with a link to view all the documents in the folder (which would violate numerous privacy laws o behalf of the applicant).

I need to use the API to create a folder, upload a document, then generate a link that allows  reference writers to upload a reference letter without being able to read the other letters of reference or the application form, and also allow the applicant to upload an essay and official transcripts without being able to read any of the (strictly confidential) letters of reference.  

As far as I know, the existing API does not provide a way to accomplish what I need. If I've overlooked that ability, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for clarifying! File requests would make that relatively easy, but with the current API you could build an upload page on your own server, and then just allow the end users to upload there, and perform the API calls to upload to Dropbox on the backend, without exposing other files or information to them.

Adica S.
New member | Level 1

Another +1 from me. Our company wants to provide our clients with the ability to securely collect documents from their clients within an App without us having to run a central server where everything gets passed through (matters of privacy).

With a file request API this would be extremely easy. With the existing API on the other hand we would need a different App for every client which contains their own Oauth credentials. Also everyone would get full access to all uploaded files which must be denied.

This is just one of the scenarios where a file request API would be really helpful.

ram s.3
New member | Level 1

a BIG +1 from me.

Family E.
New member | Level 1

Steve M I just don't want to manage authenication of a dropbox account on several distributed embedded system, a lot of them which I don't have physical access. A filerequest API seems as the easiest method for anyone or any device to add data to my managed dropbox account without the authentication hassle. I understand the security risks that someone not authenticated will add data to my dropbox without my conscent, but I am willing to take that risk and manage it when or if it happens.

Need more support?