cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get_shared_link_metadata API problem with the new '/scl' folder links.

get_shared_link_metadata API problem with the new '/scl' folder links.

DragonWhisperer
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I think get_shared_link_metadata API has a bug with the new "/scl" links.

When I send it a link to a shared folder and path to a file inside it:

// https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata
{path: "/001 (2).zip",
 url: "https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ppu9pgy84/h?rlkey=90bu"}

The response is:

{
    ".tag": "file",
    "url": "https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ppu9pgy84/h?rlkey=90bu&dl=0",
    "id": "id:2UW_T...",
    "name": "001 (2).zip",
}

In the past, the returned "url" was direct to the file, but now it's just the same folder url with "&dl=0".

I need the direct link. later I need to convert it to a direct download link to the file.

Please help.

8 Replies 8

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @DragonWhisperer,

Yes, it's so unfortunately. But one thing, you state isn't so - the links have always included "&dl=0"! Something you can change it later. Let's see how long will take to becomes that fixed up. In meantime you can use workaround like the one I posted here. 😉 It works for all kind of links to folder and is much faster (no individual call for every link). The example is in Python, but you can use it as you like.

Good luck.

DB-Des
Dropbox Engineer

Hi there,

Thanks for the report! We're investigating this API issue. I'll follow up here once I have an update.

DragonWhisperer
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you @Здравко 

In your solution you are using list_shared_link_folder_entries API, but it's a private API. Here Greg-DB said "that is not officially supported".

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@DragonWhisperer wrote:

..., but it's a private API. Here Greg-DB said "that is not officially supported".

Yes, @DragonWhisperer  - not officially supported. 😁 But works! In this context, does the API access point you tried work? 😉 Here supported and unsupported are relative things. The access point I posted works for years and stays unaffected by any "stresses" throughout. You can choose to use non working but supported, of course. 🤫

The choice is yours. Good luck.

PS: Dropbox definition of supported and unsupported (if any) is very funny sometimes. The statement you saw (and pointed) is definitely NOT the most absurd one.

DragonWhisperer
Explorer | Level 3

Any update?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@DragonWhisperer No, I don't have an update on this yet.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This should be fixed now. Please try again and let us know if you're still seeing any issues. Thanks!

DragonWhisperer
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DragonWhisperer Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?