cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Charged for an Unknown Account

Being Charged for an Unknown Account

nickl1
New member | Level 2

I have been charged over $300 for an account I have no access to or knowledge of for three years. I may have created one, but I no longer have access to any email that it would be associated with.

When I try contact support about it, they are unable to identify the account or cancel the charges because my current credit card does not match the one they have on file. Chase is still approving approving the payments and charging them to my new credit card. 

I tried to look up the account with Dropbox's transaction ID lookup tool. But I ran into the same problem as above because I no longer have the old credit card information available to me.

Now I'm in an endless cycle of Dropbox refusing to help me for security reasons but still charging me. Is there anyway to cancel an account that I have no access to but am still getting charged for?

4 Replies 4

Re: Being Charged for an Unknown Account

Rich
Super User II

@nickl1 wrote:

When I try contact support about it, they are unable to identify the account or cancel the charges because my current credit card does not match the one they have on file. Chase is still approving approving the payments and charging them to my new credit card.

If Dropbox is unable to identify the account with the information you have available, then you'll likely need to contact Chase for assistance in getting the charges canceled. They're your credit card company. Make them work for you. They should be able to work with Dropbox to get it taken care of.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @nickl1, thanks for reaching out to our Community!

Although you no longer have the old credit card info, do you happen to have the alphanumeric transaction IDs attached to the payments?

If you do, can I reach out to you via email, so we can look into this?

Let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nickl1
New member | Level 2

Hi Hanna,

Yes I have the transaction ID. You can send an email to the address associated with this community account. 

Lori
Dropboxer
Happy Wednesday @nickl1

Since Hannah is currently out of office, I managed to jump in and send you an email on my end. 

Cheers!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    nickl1 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?