cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reset my password without access to the email as I forgot it?

Can I reset my password without access to the email as I forgot it?

Andrew1983
New member | Level 2

i have forgotten my password and no longer have access to my email, how can i reset my password and change my email?

95 Replies 95

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Andrew1983; welcome to the Community!

Truth be told, if you can’t access the email address you use for your Dropbox account to ask for a password reset, we can't verify the account's ownership so we won't be able to help you regain access.

That said, you could check if you email service provider offers a way to recover the email address you used to tackle this obstacle or else, assuming you're still logged into the account in question, download and transfer your files to a computer (or even a new Dropbox account). 

I know it's not much, but I sure hope this information helps. 

Please keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Andrew1983,

Without know your email you can't change anything - the email is your user id! If you have a device connected to the account still, you can check there for the exact email. If you haven't access to the used email, that's a big issue; regular password reset becomes impossible. If your mobile device is connected to the account still, there is workaround. On your mobile device is a feature "Connect a computer" (in Dropbox settings section). Use this feature to gain access back to your account and change email to an actual one (which you have access to). After that you can reset the password in the trivial way. :wink:

Good luck.

trafa
New member | Level 2

I need help! Please!

I cant enter my account. I tried ever password i can think of and still cant enter. When i try to recover my password they send me an code with 6 digits, the problem its the email i had for that account has been closed. Now i cant enterm either my email anda dropbox account. I need help! I had pics of my family vacations, sons, job stuff.

HELP! 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @trafa, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

I'd suggest having a look at this article to see if any of the steps there help at all. Otherwise, I'd suggest taking a look at Walter's post above for some more info.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

trafa
New member | Level 2

Hello Daphne,

Thanks for your kind answer. The problem it´s that my e-mail provider shutdown! My e-mail simple does not exist. I can prove i´m the legit owner of my account by telling the files i had there! Please! I have photos of my daughter since she was born! 

iReyes
New member | Level 2

hi, 

I can still access my dropbox.. but i forgot my password.. the email address in use is no longer accessible. How can i change my password? TIA!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for reaching out to us here @iReyes!

When you have the chance, please take a look at the info Walter provided here.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a nudge here. Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

heather822
New member | Level 2

I had an old drop box account with an email that is no longer active. I have tried logging in but it doesn't accept my old password and I can't send a reset my password email because I can't access the email. Is there a way to access the files?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @heather822, thanks for posting.

Since you have a similar issue to the OP here, please check out Walter's post above for some more info.

I'll be just a post away if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Alek1623 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?