cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Sign in desktop

Cannot Sign in desktop

samantha_db123
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there, I searched and couldnt find a recent Windows sign-in issue. I finally got past the no network error/pc offline and now see the dropbox desktop app in my tray but when I select Sign in nothing happens. Now what do I do? Any suggested most welcome! thanks

10 Replies 10

Re: Cannot Sign in desktop

BobbyV7878
Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same issue with Chrome... there is no login prompt/box 

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @samantha_db123 & @BobbyV7878, happy Friday! 

Could you please send me a screenshot of what you see on your end, Samantha?

Also, Bobby, would you mind clearing your browser's cache, or trying a totally different browser, to see what the results are? 

Thank you!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

samantha_db123
Explorer | Level 3

I just wanted to provide an update as I found an easy solution. I used my phone data and immediately I got connected on the desktop dropbox, switched to my usual wifi after that and it is still fine. I have spent hours the last two days troubleshooting this and trying to find help on this website and others and this was all I needed to do. I hope this helps other people. The steps below are what I was doing before hand in case the phone option doesnt work:

- whitelisted the dropbox.exe in Windows defender (exclusions), as well as the dropbox folder itself on the c drive.

- The dropbox icon in my toolbar tray is grey and the icon is a round rotating arrow showing "Connecting..." (not connected to internet as per website). In the cog>preferences>proxies, I have set the proxy to none.

- I have turned off antivirus and firewall on Windows Defender

- I dont use a vpn to view things on the web

- quit and relaunched dropbox desktop and its still 'connecting'

allowed dropbox file and exe on malwarebytes

- Reinstalled following the instructions on Dropbox website

- Reset network protocols in cmd prompt (in link below)

The only thing I havent done::
- call my ISP and asked them to ensure a port isnt blocked (allow access ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS))
- used the offline installer (as in link above)

Links that might help:

BobbyV7878
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I've tried clearing the cache. Here's my dropbox screenshot. There is no place to log in and my folders and account link are inaccessible. 

BobbyV7878_0-1623683343295.png

samantha_db123
Explorer | Level 3

I am having this issue again. I cannot printscreen using the snipping tool as the destop version disappears when I click off. But it has the rotating connecting icon, which on your website explains it to be not connected to the internet.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey guys! 

First of all, @samantha_db123, can you clarify if you're referring to the syncing icon

Had that been the case, it would have been normal. The Dropbox desktop application syncs the changes from the website to the Dropbox desktop application when a file is updated.

Also @BobbyV7878, does that happen when you're accessing our website through a different browser? 

If I were you, I'd try clearing the cache and trying an incognito tab as well.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BobbyV7878
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

When I cleared my cache on Chrome, it completely logged me out of dropbox, and without the ability to sign in, I could not get back into the forums to reply.

I was able to access my account through Microsoft Edge... which is OK... it means my account still exists. But for work purposes, I'll need to find a way back on via Chrome. 

samantha_db123
Explorer | Level 3

going by this it means it is syncing, its the blue icon

Sync icons & symbols in the desktop app | Dropbox Help

but its been doing that for days and saying connecting, when I go into preferences> account it says this computer is not linked to an account yet it worked last week

how do I fix please

BobbyV7878
Explorer | Level 3

When I attempt to sign in, this is the screen I get....

BobbyV7878_0-1623701963471.png

When I click on the logo, I am directed to

BobbyV7878_1-1623702007017.png

When I click sign in it directs me to the first image in this post. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    BobbyV7878 Explorer | Level 3
    samantha_db123 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?