Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox guru overrun by Samsung promotion

javierbernad
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox very kindly offered me 48 GB extra space after naming me Dropbox "guru". Now they tell me my Samsung promo is over, so I am back to 21 GB. I never even activated my Samsung bonus space. Is this a mistake or is it that the Samsung bonus is automatically activated, and that my "guru" extra space expired in the meantime? Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Re: Dropbox guru overrun by Samsung promotion

Super User II
Super User II
Its automatically applied if you completed the steps and logged in from a promotional device

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

javierbernad
Explorer | Level 4
I understand the Samsung promotion is automatic then. Does it override the guru bonus?

Super User II
Super User II
If you never activated the Samsung bonus (by completing the necessary steps and logging into Dropbox from the device) then the message may be a mistake and is instead referring to the Dropbox Guru bonus, which was also time limited (24 months).

jelabarre
Helpful | Level 6

I never bothered to activate mine, since I don't even get close to using the minimal amount I have now.  So what I would like is for your system to STOP nagging me every single day to tell me it's expiring.  I got the point, now shut up about it.  It's getting obnoxious now,.

jelabarre
Helpful | Level 6

And it *****STILL***** is harassing me about the 48GB Samsung space.   I want it to *****SHUT UP***** immediately.  Not a week from now, not when you darned well feel like it, but NOW.  At this point you folks are being so obnoxious about I can no longer recommend Dropbox to anyone, because it will only serve to p*#@ people off.

DC_Terry New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Just imagine how pissed off you'd be if you had no idea what Samsung promotion they could possibly be referring to, since I've never activated such a thing... and if you weren't a "Dropbox Guru" but basically found that if you went through the steps they laid out (installing the product, referring friends, etc. etc.) you got extra space and were NEVER told it was temporary.  Imagine how mad you'd be if you then had to figure out how to pull down nearly 60GB of data and move to a completely new system OR....  choose to purchase a ludicrous amount of space (by comparison) at $100/year.  

This seems to be the Microsoft model of... give it free until you rope enough people in, and then start charging a lot of money for something they now cant be without.  The only trouble is that Microsoft did it legally.  I think there is something very wrong about how this so-called "Samsung promotion" went down.  I'm not a litigious person, and I don't know if it's actually illegal, but it does seem very crummy and I never signed up for any Samsung promotional space, nor do I have any Samsung devices.  I did sign an enormous number of people up for Dropbox through the years, though... and I watched them ALL (without exception) get nearly 50GB of space free right off the bat.  No Samsung device required.  How about... since those folks all effectively become Dropbox prisoners... how about maybe offering 250GB for $25/year?  I think $99 is actually greedy and might piss off someone who has a law degree.

DC_Terry New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am also pretty certain that I had that space for a LOT longer than 2 years.

Super User II
Super User II
You cannot have watched them get 50gb 'off the bat' as thats never been a given quota except via time limited promotions. Dropbox from the day it started (bar a few weeks at the very very beginning when it was 5gb) has only ever given away 2gb. BOX however has given away 50gb - but thats a different company.

In terms of the promo. You can see your space and where it came from by clicking on the 'View Earned Space' at https://www.dropbox.com/account/personal. You also get, when you activated the promo an email from Dropbox / Samsung thanking you for setting it up and explaining the T&Cs. What *could* have happened if you'd never owned a Samsung is that you logged in to your account on somebody elses device (to show them Dropbox maybe?) and that meant the promo was linked to you.

Referral bonus space is limited to 32 sign ups and 16gb for free users which doubles if you are a paying customer to 32gb max.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

moctoddp New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Will probably leave Dropbox for good soon. I had an argument with dropbox for the longest time. I am 100% certain they have a glitch in there system that somehow link some samsung users to their samsung 48gb promo. My space was earned through referrals. I have never signed up for any 48gb promo. I even asked the rep when did this promo start? And I asked him, "Then why do I have files in dropbox dating back to to two yrs prior to this 48gb promo?" They did not budge, there was no glitch. According to them, I absolutely signed up for the free 48gb promo.

Now, my wife just got the same message, and she didn't sign up either. We won't bother arguing. Conveniently, we no longer can see how we earned our GB. They used to have a section for this in the account online. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?