cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore deleted account

How to restore deleted account

Ljiljana
New member | Level 2

Hi, is there any option to restore deleted Dropbox account (Basic plan) and restore the deleted files?
Dropbox account had my desktop linked to it, and as I was unable to unlink it I have deleted my account.

What happened is that all files from my desktop (locally on my computer) were deleted and now there is no way I can restore them.

Does Dropbox have a temporary backup of recently deleted accounts/files?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Re: How to restore deleted account

Mark
Super User II

No, sorry, they dont - once deleted everything is lost.

BUT! Deleting an account does *not* delete everything on a desktop computer - it simply stops the syncing. So, your files should still be available somewhere (unless you deleted the Dropbox folder yourself). Have you tried searching for them?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ljiljana
New member | Level 2

No, I did not delete the Dropbox folder myself. What happened is that after deleting the account (online) I went back to my PC and all files from my desktop were deleted, all gone. And I couldn't even access the desktop itself, or even my computer (an error pop up message appeared saying something about the path not existing).

After resetting my PC to a previous timepoint I was able to restore some of my programs not all of them, but still all of my files which I kept on desktop were gone. I even tried some of the software for recovery, still nothing...

Unbelievable that such a thing could have happened!

I think what the issue was, is that I unintentionally linked my Desktop (when installing dropbox on my PC). I tried to unlink it later but failed to find a way to do it, this was the reason I decided to delete the account in the first place....

Mark
Super User II

They are unconnected events I'm afraid - Dropbox being cloised or disconnected does not do anything to a computer other than display a pop up asking you to log in to Dropbox. It does not, nor has it ever, deleted files on a computer or any connected device when accounts are closed. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?