cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ilegal credit card usage

Ilegal credit card usage

paulday
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My conversation with Kim over someone using my credit card to start an account on Dropbox.  Buyer beware. 

And if this conversation is deleted, I'll be posting about it on the major news services!

Ticket #8516958: DB: $99.00 charge on my credit card that I didn't charge!

You can add a response by replying to this email.

Please be sure to reply with the same email address that you used to originally contact us.

Kim, Nov 4, 9:25 PM PST:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting Dropbox Support! My name is Kim and I'd be happy to help you with this charge!

Dropbox currently only offers phone support for Business Standard, Advanced and Enterprise subscribers however, I am more than happy to assist you via email.

I don't see a charge for your account at [personal information removed for security purposes] — is it possible that you have another account under a different email address?

You can look up a credit card charge with our credit card self-serve lookup tool here:

https://www.dropbox.com/payments/find_receipt

However, if you cannot find the charge in question, or if you have additional questions to that charge, I will need all of the following information for security reasons:
• Card type
• First six digits of the card
• Last four digits of the card
• Full name on the credit card charged
• Date of charge
• Amount charged
• Billing postal code

Additionally, if you have the 12 character alphanumeric transaction ID shown on your bank account, please send that on.

Alternatively, if you paid with PayPal, I will need the PayPal transaction ID. You can find this ID by logging in to your PayPal account and clicking on the transaction in your account history.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Kim

Kim,

I've found out that there's a charge from last year also.  At the time, I was in the middle of renovating a new home and had so many charges happening that I didn't catch the first charge from Dropbox.

I've checked several email addresses that I use and none have replied with a password reset email.

Card type  xxxx
• First six digits of the card  xxxxxx
• Last four digits of the card  xxxx
• Full name on the credit card charged  Paul Day
• Date of charge   9/30/17 - xxxxxxxxxxxx    10/4/18 - 141-xxxxxxxxx
• Amount charged                $99.00                                        $99.00
• Billing postal code              xxxxx                                         xxxxx       

Another reason I know this is not my charge is I NEVER use any auto renewal service.

Thank you,
Paul Day

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I was able to look up the account based on the transaction ID you kindly provided.. The email address associated with the account is [ [personal information removed for security purposes] 

This charge is for a Dropbox Plus subscription on an annual payment plan. 

Please let me know if you would like for me to go ahead and cancel the automatic renewal of this charge on your behalf.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for clarifying that this is not my account and somehow someone was able to use my credit card illegally.

I expect a full refund of $198.00 as this was obviously not me using your service. If I don't receive a full refund I will pursue legal action against Dropbox for not properly verifying the owner of a credit card during purchase.  If it's happened once, I'm sure it's happened before to others.

May I suggest that you contact local authorities to track the person who is fraudulently using your system to recover your lost funds.  You have their email address and I'm sure that your system tracks their upload IP address also.

Thank you,
Paul Day

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm afraid we cannot provide a refund for this charge. However, I've just cancelled the subscription and the account will downgrade to the Basic plan at the renewal date.

Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance or have other inquiries.

Best regards,
Kim

Excuse me, YOUR NOT EVEN GOING TO GIVE A REFUND? and you know that the charge was ILLEGALLY placed.  Oh, and your so unconcerned about the theft that your going to DOWNGRADE the account, not close it and attempt to go after the person who used my credit card illegally.  NO, that would make too much sense.

WOW, is that ever smart and how NOT to run a business.  BOY, first this email chain will be sent  to the credit card company so that they'll see you're at fault and then I'll get my money back.  In the mean time I'll start posting about Dropbox and how they're letting stolen credit cards used on their system and then seem totally unconcerned when notified. 

As proof, I'll be attaching this email post to all posting.  We'll let the public decide, like on the Dropbox forum first.

Paul Day

Now I ask you, would you expect a FULL refund if you were in my shoes?  Also, Kim seems totally unconcerned that Dropbox is not properly venting CC#s when being used on their system.

Paul Day

15 Replies 15

flowerpowers2054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Paul, my account was also stolen/ hacked, and they have taken two payments already. I hope I get my money back??

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If your account is stolen/hacked it is the credit card companies responsibility to sort. After all, how many other purchases will they make?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

flowerpowers2054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Mark. I have also contacted the bank, and you are right they have taken other money. But hopefully drop box will be able to work with them and me, to refund this?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its quicker and easier to get the bank to do it - thats their job, thats what we pay through the nose for with them in charges and interest.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

flowerpowers2054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I've already contacted the bank thanks Mark. But then a second payment went out. I have the fake email address. It is also Dropboxs responsibility to shut down these accounts, when reported. As somebody else in here highlighted!?

akjaxbeach
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I signed up for a free trial for an upgraded Dropbox business account and to do this I had to supply a valid credit card. I wasn't pleased with the service and intended to cancel but missed the cutoff to cancel by a few hours  and got charged full price and they promptly charged my credit card full price  

Well I guess I was aware  that this may happen and like countless others ended up paying full price for free trial and companies know that once they have your credit card info they will find a way to make free not free at all  

Now I have canceled my Dropbox bus account but it seems after me spending quite a bit of time on the Dropbox website that the only way to cancel my credit card details they have of mine is to supply them with another valid credit card or turn over my Paypal account details to them even though I no longer have an account that I need to make payments to them on

Now I no longer feel that this is a mistake on my part getting hit with Dropbox charging my credit card and Dropbox is not being ethical here

I have to agree with others in this thread that Dropbox will take advantage of the fact that they have your credit card info. I remember a episode of that show American Greed where there are companies that bring in 10s of millions of dollars by finding ways to get people to sign up for something requiring they give out their credit card details and then charging for unneeded services

I think this practice of requiring a credit card for 'free " trials is abused by countless companies and the Attorney General needs to intervene to save consumers from being taken advantage of and companies start respecting our credit card info and that our entrusting this info to them is not some kind of free pass to charge us for unneeded products and services

If the service being sold is so great why can't they give you a heads-up a few hours before charging our credit card instead of a few hours after its too late to do anything about it?  

Because as we all have learned once they have your money they are not going to give it back 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

akjaxbeach New member | Level 2
    flowerpowers2054 Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?