cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made an account with this Gmail in March but now logging in with that email made a new account???

Made an account with this Gmail in March but now logging in with that email made a new account???

Heyheyitsnkk
Explorer | Level 3

Just logged in with Gmail to my Dropbox account and it made a new one for some reason instead of taking me to the one I had listed on that same email account. Is it because I logged in with Gmail instead of using my email and password which I don't think I remember, but I could always reset? Or did the previous account somehow get deleted or erased? If so, how??? I need to access the saved info, and I don't know how to login, but it was definitely made using this email account. I still have the confirmations in my archived stuff. Please help -- somehow!?

3 Replies 3

Re: Made an account with this Gmail in March but now logging in with that email made a new accoun...

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi there @Heyheyitsnkk, thanks for posting on our Community today!

If a Dropbox account is created under an email address, that account remains active, unless it's manually deleted by the owner or disabled due to inactivity by us. 

The latter would happen after 12 months of inactivity, though, not before. 

Is it possible that you were logged in to a different Gmail account when you got prompted to create a new account?

Or had created the Dropbox account with a different Gmail address?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Made an account with this Gmail in March but now logging in with that email made a new accoun...

Heyheyitsnkk
Explorer | Level 3
I have confirmation emails from when I created the account and for like advertising and informational purposes since then in the email that is named the same as this user screen name. I only have one alternate email, and there aus n0 correspondence from Dropbox whatsoever in it. If I initially chose the create/log-in with email option, and proceeded to enter my Gmail address and create a password, but then 6 mos later didn't remember the pw and choice to use the "log-in with Gmail" button, would that access the original password protected account or would it create a second account due to it being a different process taken to gain access????

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hmm, this is very strange indeed. May I reach out to you via email, so we can look into this?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Heyheyitsnkk Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?