Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer able to use Yubikey 4 as 2FA

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

At Dropbox, I've enabled 2FA, but, recently, I've been unable to use my Yubikey 4 as a means to satisfy 2FA.  Instead, I need to chose SMS 2FA, sending a six (6) digit code to my phone.  Previously, I had set up -- and used -- my Yubikey 4 to satisfy 2FA at Dropbox.  Now, over the past several weeks or so, my Yubikey 4 no longer works.  I've tried deleting my Yubikey 4 at Dropbox and then re-establishing it as a means to satisfy 2FA.  Each time, Dropbox accepts the Yubikey 4.  But, then, next time I attempt to log-in to my Dropbox account, the Yubikey 4 no longer works.  I'd love to use the Yubikey 4, since I use it at multiple other log-ins, including Vanguard.  Thanks in advance for any help!

29 Replies 29

Re: No longer able to use Yubikey 4 as 2FA

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, what browser are you using when logging into the Dropbox site using the Yubikey?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) beta (64-bit); Mac OS High Sierra v 10.13.6

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
It’s possible that this could be due to the fact that the browser is a beta build.

First, try could you try switching browsers to Firefox to see if this works there? 

Afterwards, on Chrome, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

Lastly, try downgrading Chrome to a stable, non-beta version.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Firefox Quantum Version 62.0.3 (64-bit) works.

Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) + incognito + no extensions + cache clear + reset browser in full fails to work.

Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) (64-bit) fails to work.

Note neither Facebook nor Vanguard, two sites with a fair bit of activity, require a switch to Google Chrome non-beta or the use of incognito with no extensions, a cleared cache, and a full reset.  To me, this, coupled with the above, is a clear indication the problem resides with Dropbox.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to run Firefox; and, given the lack of any other problems with Google Chrome Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), I'm switching back to my original set-up.

I respectfully suggest the problem is likely easy or very easy to solve at Dropbox.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
It does seem there’s an issue with your Chrome browser, since our one works fine with a Yubikey, and we’ve not received any other users with the same issue.

What exactly happens when using the key? Does it produce the code in general, say by opening a search bar and tapping the key? Does it work on other sites? 

Are you able to test the Yubikey on another USB port, computer, or network even, using the same version of Chrome? This is to rule out any pre-existing settings in Chrome, or network restrictions from that browser.

Keep me posted!

Jay

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

<What exactly happens when using the key? Does it produce the code in general, say by opening a search bar and tapping the key?>

At Dropbox, after entering my user name / email address and password, the standard sign-in window appears -- 'Sign in' at the top, with an image of the key below; text beneath the key states 'Insert your security key to use it' and 'After inserting, tap your key if it has a button or gold disk' -- together with a new small window at the top of the browser.  I've attempted to attach a copy of the screen-shot but the window here at dropboxforum.com returns '(a)n unexpected error has occurred' twice.

<Does it work on other sites?>

Yes.  The Yukikey works perfectly at both Vanguard and Facebook.

<Are you able to test the Yubikey on another USB port, computer, or network even, using the same version of Chrome?>

I've switched ports to no effect or use.  And I've switched computers, also to no effect or use.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to switch networks.

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Also, the Yubikey works perfectly at Google, including Gmail.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Could you try attaching the image using the following button?

Image attach.png

Jay

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 12.59.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-23 at 12.59.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-23 at 12.59.59 PM_Redacted.jpg

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?