Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Personal and Business account confusion

Explorer | Level 4

I had a Personal account with 14.6gb of space.

I then opened a Business account and got the 2gb of space.

I then managed to confuse the two and have ended up with a Business account with 14.6gb of space and a Personal account with 2gb of space.

How can I swap them back - I only need 2gb for my business acount and I'm getting in a terrible muddle because my photos won't upload to the larger, Business, account so my small Personal account keeps running out of space!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Personal and Business account confusion

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Did another test, this time from a member's account in the free team, and not the admin. I get the same as you:

free team member.png

Make sure you're signed into the old admin account first to make the other user an admin, and then you can remove your own admin permissions.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Sounds like you converted your existing account into a Free Team account (which I didn't think was available anymore), and opened a new Personal account with 2GB of space. Note that Business accounts start with 1TB of space.

There's no way to swap storage between accounts. Your best solution will be to swap the email accounts used on each account (and you'll need a third email to do it) and then swap the files from one account to the other.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

Yes I think you're right and that I have accidently done this conversion.  I think it is because I got the email addresses the one way round at one point - no idea how I did it lol but I have ... it started off OK!

If I go to my account on the website it doesn't tell me how much has been used on both accounts but it does on my account on my Android phone or my iPad.

I definitely don't have a Business Account .. unfortunately don't have 1TB lol!

Thank you very much

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Also, I say that the info on swapping email accounts says Dropbox "Plus" account - how do I know if I have one of those?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Rich, you said that you didn't think free team accounts were available anymore.  I have one for my business use between me and my supervisor.  Why do you think they don't allow them anymore?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Account types don't matter when you're swapping email addresses around. That being said, you can view your account type on your Account page.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@rmdome wrote:

Rich, you said that you didn't think free team accounts were available anymore.  I have one for my business use between me and my supervisor.  Why do you think they don't allow them anymore?

Because you can no longer create a free team anymore. The only way to end up with a new free team account is by downgrading a Business account. Existing free teams still exist. You just can't create new ones anymore.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you - apparently I have basic which is what i would expect.

I will endeavour to swap email accounts but it will be after the Easter break.

Thank you for your help

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

You’re a member of the Name of Company's Dropbox account.

Your Dropbox Plus plan will renew on December 28, 2018. $99.00 per year. 

Personal Dropbox space 
Using 8.11 GB of 1 TB
Regular files (5.23 GB)
Shared files (2.89 GB)
Unused space (0.99 TB)
________

Rich, this is what I saw on that link you included.  How can I tell how much space is available in a team account?  I keep getting messages that the team account is out of space.  Also, what's with the metadata looking files in my folders?  Since they've appeared a few months ago, it seems our storage decreased.

Thank you for your prompt answer from my first question.  I appreciate your help.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks hokey for letting me share this question and answer thread with you. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?