cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can view-only folders in Dropbox sync with other people's hard drives?

Highlighted

Can view-only folders in Dropbox sync with other people's hard drives?

Explorer | Level 3

1. Suppose I share a folder in Dropbox with a specific e-mail address as view-only, then that person adds it to their Dropbox storage, and asks their sync client to sync that folder with their computer. Will their sync client update that folder on their computer's hard drive when I update the folder in the cloud? If so, would they, by default, be notified every time I edit one of my files (I would be concerned about this if I am saving a file every few minutes)?

2. Suppose I share a folder in Dropbox with a link as view-only. When other people add that folder to their cloud storage, will the folder in their storage be updated when I make changes to my folder? If so, then would the folder stop syncing if I delete the link?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@hrnaid001 wrote:

If you invite someone to a shared folder, regardless of the access level, the folder will sync for all members if they have the Dropbox application installed on their computer. They are not notified when changes are made. The changes will simply sync to their computer.

If you share a link to a file or folder, the recipient has the option to add the content to their own account, but this is a one-time copy. It will not sync, nor will they receive any notifications if you update the original. They need to re-visit the link each time they want to see the updated content.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@hrnaid001 wrote:

If you invite someone to a shared folder, regardless of the access level, the folder will sync for all members if they have the Dropbox application installed on their computer. They are not notified when changes are made. The changes will simply sync to their computer.

If you share a link to a file or folder, the recipient has the option to add the content to their own account, but this is a one-time copy. It will not sync, nor will they receive any notifications if you update the original. They need to re-visit the link each time they want to see the updated content.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?