cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused Charter subscriber to DropBox ... HELP!

Confused Charter subscriber to DropBox ... HELP!

New member | Level 2

I'm so confused!

I was an original, charter subscriber to DropBox.

I signed up my entire family, friends and business partners gaining a ton of dropbox space which, before I retired 4 years ago, was still working. The folders held all of my most important files ... family photos, family videos, geneolgical stories, etc.

I don't recall exactly but for each person that I had signed up I had been given lots of storage to share with them.

It was GREAT! Very useful!

Since then, iCloud has taken care of much of my needs except for Scrivener which still doesn't work with it?

I also used dropbox for Scrivener, to store all of the books that I was writing about our family's stories and history.

Unexpected things happen ... my 102 year old mom moved in with us because of dementia and I was her only caregiver before she died at my home, last year. Since then, my wife's mother now has dementia and we are taking care of her so, still not much time to deal with this!

So, sorry, but I've not had time for DropBox and obviously missed out on many significant changes that happened?

Are all of my DropBox files now gone?

Did I loose all of that free storage?

Are all of my family books in progress from Scrivener, with the photos and videos, now gone?

I tried searching the FAQs but all I found were glib responses with no clear explanation as to what the 'new model' is and how it all works and how much it costs everyone that had it for free, before, as long as they signed others up?

HELP me, please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Confused Charter subscriber to DropBox ... HELP!

Dropboxer

Hi @Digeratti, thanks for providing these details.

I understand your concern over your missing files. Could you check the events page, and the deleted files page to see if it's possible to recover the files?

Any extra quota you earned through completed referrals should still be valid on the account, and can be viewed from this page online.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Hi @Digeratti, thanks for providing these details.

I understand your concern over your missing files. Could you check the events page, and the deleted files page to see if it's possible to recover the files?

Any extra quota you earned through completed referrals should still be valid on the account, and can be viewed from this page online.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Thanks, Jay!

My files live!!!

I've been able to install and activate Dropbox but I had to cancel all of my previous devices (9 of them!) and can only activate the free account for 3 devices which is somewhat of a challenge for me ... I have it on my laptop and my desktop and my phone but I wish it would also work with one more ... my iPad Pro with it's pencil but it isn't worth $12 a month for that so, I will survive.

At least the files are there to continue working with on my family history?

I was surprised at the new activation limitation on the previous accounts? It obviouly didn't used to be that way since I had 9 devices active until I deleted them all and began again.

One more thing is that when I did connect my Scrivener to Dropbox, the original folder it used is only there on one of my computers?

I suspect that I am not looking for it in the proper place because it is there on the one (in Dropbox) but I can't find it on my laptop or on my iPhone? Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Dropboxer

Glad to hear you were able to access your account again, @Digeratti!

Regarding Scrivener, it's possible that the folder isn't syncing for some reason. Is it definitely located in the Dropbox folder on that machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?