cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB doesn't see the external hard drive on Mac

DB doesn't see the external hard drive on Mac

Raffa_hello
Explorer | Level 4

Hallo everybody. 

I'd like to try the new "Back up an external hard drive to Dropbox" feature, which I understand was added in August 2021, because I would like to synchronize on DB some files that I have no interest in keeping on my computer in order to share them but also to have a backup always available even on the move.

I have formatted a hard drive as APFS, as instructed for Mac but the drive is not seen in any way by the app. The instructions say that "A Dropbox window will appear, prompting a back up of your external hard drive" but nothing happens to me.
There is no way to directly tell the app to see the drive or tell the drive to be seen by the app in the Finder.

I have MacOS Catalina (10.15.7) on my Mac and the hard drive is physically on a TerraMaster DAS and formatted with GUID Partition Map. I currently only have a Basic account but am considering upgrading if the functionality suits my needs.

19 Replies 19

Raffa_hello
Explorer | Level 4
Hallo Jay,
sorry for the late reply.
Certainly you can contact my email!
Waiting for your contact.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Thanks, I've sent you an email to your address, please could you reply when you get a chance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rmundell
Helpful | Level 6

I also have this problem. It has driven me crazy enough to think about dropping dropbox, (which I have successfully used since it was first introduced in 2007).  In trying to compete with cloud services like one drive Dropbox has lost the usability that made it so valuable originally.  I don't need a duplicate of my cloud storage options.  I need a safe place to store important documents so I can retrieve them from anywhere online or offline. I need to store my dropbox folder locally, because i am not always able to be on the internet. However the synch folder eats up so much of the hard drive on my Macbook that I have no space. So I want to put the synch folder on a separate USB drive, which is appropriately formatted, and it initially synched. But since the first day it has reverted to creating a folder directly on my primary drive, and has run me out of disk space again.  When I go to preferences to try and change the synch folder back to the external drive, it does not show as an option, even though the drive is connected, and works for anything else, and has the dropbox folder on it that was originally created.

paultg
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

Did either of you ever get this resolved. I have a Mac running Monterey. I have a Blackmagic 10G SSD dock, with four drives in it. I did get prompted to back up the drives awhile ago, but didn't have the space to do so. I now have upgrade to the Professional package with Dropbox and have the space to backup one of the four drives, which is important to me. I also quit Dropbox, and re started etc. The Drives are encrypted and APFS formatted. I cannot see the drive or actually any of the four drives in the App to choose to backup. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

thanks. 

rmundell
Helpful | Level 6

I have spent time with Dropbox support, and apparently if you have updated to Monterey you can no longer specify an external drive

paultg
Explorer | Level 4
Ok that makes sense !! Thanks for the response.

redorbit
New member | Level 2

After some research and try and error, I found out that if you format the drive as APFS Encrypted Dropbox can't see it. I reformatted the drive as APFS and Dropbox was able to see it and backup.

Not ideal, as I like my external drives encrypted being movable devices.

I'm on MacOS Monterey

paultg
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks I thought as much as like you I just have them encrypted for safety purposes!

stefanb
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there, does anyone solved this problem? It seems it´s one which still exists quite a long time. I run Mac Ventura and connected a Sandisk Extreme 4TB formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). In the first step dropbox recognized the drive, showed me a dialog and I set up the backup. Of some reason I had to delete the backup, cause in the web it told me everything is synched and in the app is said the drive is not connected, although it was. So I decided to delete the hole backup and start from scratch. Now I have NO possibility to make dropbox recognizing my drive again. And there is NO way to add it manually. 

@Dropbox: Why is there no simple Button "Add" for external drives?

I found a hidden file in the SSD calles something like "ignore db". I thought this is the solution! I deleted it but nothing happend.

I already had a chat with the support and wait for answer from the technical team. But now I found all this unsolved postings about this issue. Seems still not be solved from there side.
I really want to make this work, otherwise it makes no sense for me continuing with Dropbox. But in general I was really happy with the service. The backup function worked great with my old external.

PLEASE Dropbox make this work for us.

stefanb
Explorer | Level 3

SOLUTION

Got this from the Dropbox tec support and it works:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
2. Click your avatar (profile picture or initials).
3. Click Settings.
4. Click the Security tab.
5. Your devices are listed under Devices.
6. Click the trash can icon next to the devices you'd like to sign out of remotely.
7. Click Unlink.
8. The desktop app will then prompt you to re-enter your account information.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

stefanb Explorer | Level 3
    paultg Explorer | Level 4
    redorbit New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?