cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox 103.4.383 not syncing after latest Windows 10 update

Dropbox 103.4.383 not syncing after latest Windows 10 update

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox will not sync after a recent update Windows 10 update. I have the latest version installed: 103.4.383.

After hours with my IT folks over a couple days, and trying all the published 'fixes' for not syncing, and a lot more efforts after that, the final conclusion was that the latest Windows 10 update broke Dropbox and I will need to wait for the fix to come from Dropbox. Our institution (a university) has been flooded with identical tech support calls over the past few days; all issues occured after the Windows 10 update was pushed.

In addition, when starting up my computer(s), the initiation of Dropbox now pretty much 'crashes' File Explorer and none of my files are visible (anywhere - not just in my Dropbox folder). The fix is to exit Dropbox.

Just a few of the many, many things I and/or my IT folks have tried:
- disconnecting-reconnecting to Dropbox
- clearing the cache

- Full uninstall of Dropbox and all associated files, follwoed by a reinstall

- Disabling the firewall

- Creating a second Dropbox account (free version); all the same issues - can't even sync a single file.
- etc., etc....

According to my IT folks, this is now an issue Dropbox is aware of, but I'd love to see some public confirmation of this by them, and an estimate of when the fix is coming out. If this is true, I know this isn't a problem caused by Dropbox (so I'm not blaming them for this), but it sounds like it is one that will need to be fixed by them.

For my work, I desperately need to access all my files on all my devices and to access updated files in many folders that are created and shared by my many collaborators. Right now I can't do either one, and we are resorting to all kinds of clunky workarounds - especially for transfering large files.

I hope to hear about a solution is arriving very soon. In the meantime, I will keep looking for new builds being released.

BS3

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox 103.4.383 not syncing after latest Windows 10 update

Dropboxer

Hi @bs37; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

I haven't seen similar reports lately, could you try recreating the issue on a newly created OS profile and let me know if this still persists there after downloading and installing our desktop app there? 

If you could also send me a screenshot of the exact status of the desktop app from your system tray, I'd appreciate it. 

While we're at it, have you tried running our desktop application on Windows' Safe Mode to see if that improves matters at all?

Keep me posted on you findings and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

DB Screencap.jpgHi Walter,

I have now tried running it in Safe Mode, but with no different result.

Unfortunately, I do not have the priveleges to create another user profile on my computer (is that what you were asking?) - I work at a university, so some things I could otherwise do easily are either difficult or blocked from my access. Any other users must be actual university accounts, and I don't have login information for anyone else.

Here is a screencap of the status window. One indication that things are not connecting and syncing properly is that I should (literally) have over 100 notifications right now, but it isn't showing any of them.

It currently should be syncing 100s of new files, as well.

I hope this helps. If you prefer, please just respond to my email bs37 - at - txstate.edu and that might go easier and faster. FYI, I think our spam blocking system prevented a notification that you had responded from reaching me. :disappointed face: I only saw this because I returned to the post.

Best,

B

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the additional details here @bs37.

It looks like this specific computer may be stuck due to a one-time update and there are another couple of quick fixes that we can try that resolve most issues when syncing becomes stuck.

Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically in order, as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'alt+H' keys

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. 

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know if syncing becomes stuck again.

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

We are having the same issues since a few weeks. It seems to be related to strict cipher settings on our domain.

By default we have Diffie-Hellman as a key exchange disabled, when I enable this key exchange dropbox starts to sync again.

You can use https:confused face:/www.nartac.com/Products/IISCrypto/ to troubleshoot these settings. Please do not change your crypto settings without asking your admin.

@Dropbox, can you make dropbox work with more modern key exchanges like ECDH?

Regards,

Martin

Dropboxer

Hi @mdevries, if you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this possibility in the future!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm back in the office again...

I tried the Alt + H fixes multiple times over the past week or so, but none of it works. :confused face:

Benjamin

Dropboxer

Hi @bs37; how are you today?

In case you're still having issues with this, could you update the desktop app on your computer to the latest, stable version (104.4.175 at the moment) and let us know how it goes?

Thanks a bunch, Benjamin. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?