cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox is very slow slow and right click menu is missing

Explorer | Level 4

Hi there!

Is there someone else who is also struggling with slow up- and download speed when syncing files with Dropbox?

Dropbox is only using max around 50kb/s (upload) - 12kb/s (download). 

The speed on other applications is working fine. (100mb/s)

I tried to reinstall dropbox, cleared dropbox cache, changed the bandwidth setting to 'don't limit",  Files added on web default: "online-only", restarted Finder, restarted the computer,...

Nothing worked.. Any solutions?

- Also, the right-click menu is missing or takes minutes before it's visible 

- When I click on the dropbox icon in Finder it says "Waiting" or "No options available".

- Not all folders/files show the dropbox badges

Thanks!

Dropbox version: 91.4.548
MacOs: Catalina

dropbox-issue 1.png

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Static upload speed

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi there, I use two computers for my buisness, a Mac and a PC, both using Dropbox to store and share infomration between the two. At the moment, my PC is currently using Dropbox 91.4.458 and is attempting to upload 3 files  (0.0KB/sec , 2+ days) and downloading 300 files (0.0KB/sec, 2+ days). I just reinstalled Dropbox and after it started up again, the same response was there. It does not seem to be updated at all. Both computers are on the same wifi network and the Mac is working fine, the dropbox folder is up to date fine (I know this as I have checked it against my laptop!) Any ideas on how I can get my PC to start syncing again please?

Many thanks

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is very slow slow and right click menu is missing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Scompany; welcome to our Community and thanks for your report. 

To begin with, I'd really appreciate a screenshot of the desktop app's exact status as shown within your menu bar so please forward me one if you get the chance. 

That being said, it sounds like the desktop app is acting up on your computer, so I'd like you to try re-installing it again; only with admin rights this time. 

If this doesn't do the trick, please try a clean, advanced re-install.

Should the issues you described persist, please let me know here and we'll take it from there.

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Builditbob; welcome aboard!

As your report seemed to echo what @Scompany described, I moved your post under this thread so as to ping you with some suggestions. 

@Scompany: I'm sorry I jumped up the gun there as I didn't see the screenshot of the app's status in the beginning.  

Can both of you try the clean, advanced re-install and report back with your findings?

I'll be glad to send you a ticket to investigate further if needed so please keep me posted! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I added a screenshot in the post above,

Thanks!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

No idea how, but my issue seems to have resolved itself without any further input and normal service has resumed!

Many thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates @Scompany & @Builditbob!

Glad to hear it seems to be resolved for you now @Builditbob.

@Scompany: Have you restarted your computer since you first noticed that message?  

In case you haven't yet, could you reboot any affected computers and let me know the results? 

Thanks for keeping me in the loop! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

I just reinstalled dropbox (clean install like you described), but it looks like I encounter the same issues: Very slow dropbox connection and right-click doesn't work on all dropbox files.

dropbox-issue3.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop on this matter @Scompany!

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key 

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. Operating system permissions can prevent files from being viewed or edited by unauthorized logins while permissions can be set any number of ways and can be restored manually through a fairly simple process.

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know if syncing becomes stuck again.

Thank you!

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?