cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox "selective sync conflicts" created multiple duplicated temporary folders

Dropbox "selective sync conflicts" created multiple duplicated temporary folders

Steven R.18
Explorer | Level 3

Last month mt phone was destroyed, and when I recovered it, I had multiple dropbox "systems" on different devices, and I had unknowingly updated files in different areas, this causing conflicts.  Over the next several days, Dropbox synchronized, and tried to resolve the conflicts. 

When Dropbox sync finally completed, the result was a mess: folders had several "Selective Sync Conflict" sub-folders, each containing part of the files that were recovered.   

SO I now have a mess, some files are duplicated, directories are duplicated.  There are thousands of files, so I am constantly trying to find the "latest" or "current" file or folder.

Is there a simple way to compare same-name files to see which is newest (or highlight line-by-line differences in the files)?

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox "selective sync conflicts" created multiple duplicated temporary folders

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Steven R.18, I'd be more than happy to look into this with you.

To resolve a Selective Sync conflict, you'd need to move any files you need from the conflicted folder to either the original folder or somewhere else in Dropbox.

If you see a gray minus sign, you'll need to allow the original folder to sync to your computer before moving the files over. Then, delete the conflicted folder.

I'm afraid, you'd need to check which folder has the most up-to-date information in it or instead, older files that have important data. This can only be checked manually by yourself since only you know which files need to be kept or discarded.

Can you try this, and let me know if you have any issues along the way? 

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?