cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gray X on files move out of DropBox to Desktop

Highlighted

Gray X on files move out of DropBox to Desktop

New member | Level 2

i have just completed a clean install of Win 10. upon moving files from my dropbox to the desk top i have found a gray X on the lower left corner.  i have been looking over the internet and here to find what was happening, but no solution that i have found has worked for me. i have uninstalled MS OneDrive, uninstaled Dropbox and reinstalled Dropbox. i've set folders to local  / online-only, still an X when moving out of dropbox. i have refreshed the desktop i have checked the registry (found only Dropbox overlays 1-10). i think i have mis-understood how DropBox works - I was thinking that dropbox was a folder online (if i work on the file with in dropbox it updates the changes over all my connected devices) and if i moved something to the desktop it was back on my hard drive. - i understand it seems to be just a visul thing but Goodness it seem to be so agrivating. I am now also not understanding why a file in dropbox has a gray cloud on it until i have opened that file.  Sorry to be so fussy about an icon but i need help 

Thank you for you time and help

Quayuazue

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Gray X on files move out of DropBox to Desktop

New member | Level 2

just found a hidden file in dropbox ".dropbox.cache" . in side this a folder named "qebcobkqbgpbzfynfuwbof" (yup that right copy and pasted it) and it has 95 items that are icons of many different kinds all with the X on them all named placeholder or placeholder.something .  could this be something ? 

Quayuazue

Highlighted

Re: Gray X on files move out of DropBox to Desktop

Dropboxer

Hi @Quayuazue; welcome to our Community and sorry for the late response. 

Could you please give the following steps a go and let me know if they improved matters at all for you?

ote that it is very important to follow these steps specifically in order, as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'alt+H' keys

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1  to 5, only this time, at step 6, click on the “Fix Permissions” button.

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over so if you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know if you still have issues with this.

Thanks!

PS: For more information on the cache folder you can take a look at the relevant Help Center article

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?