cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardlinks taking full space

Highlighted

Hardlinks taking full space

New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I have implemented an incremental backup using rsync on my system (Linux Mint Tricia 19.3). Obviously the backup is going to my local Dropbox folder. Each backup is doing hardlinks to previous backups when they are not changed, so I save space. This is working fine on my machine.

In Dropbox though each backup is taking the full space, so my Dropbox is full pretty fast.

Is there any solution to this?

I'd appreciate some help/hint. Thanks

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Hardlinks taking full space

Dropboxer

Hey @Andreas_Dragon, let's see what we can find on this together. 

I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Where are you backing up these files from? Is it from an external hard drive?
  • Are you running the latest version of the desktop app? 

Also, any screenshots you can send us so as to have a better visual understanding of this, would be very helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi and thanks for your reply.

- It's an backup from my usb stick.

- I am using Dropbox version v105.4.651

- My system is Linux Mint Tricia 19.3

I have attached my file structure how is it seen on my file explorer.

On my local disk the whole folder takes aprox 500 mb using hard links between files inside the folder which haven't changed since the previous backup. The incremental backup just taked additional space for changed files.

In my Dropbox though it takes apox 2 gb (4 x 500 mb) so I am guessing, the links don't work and each folder is kind of a full copy of my usb stick.

Screenshot from 2020-09-11 17-06-42.png

Any idea?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It sounds like the desktop app can't recognize the hardlinks that are being added by the third party app, and so the files themselves get added, instead. 

I'm not aware of an option available with the desktop app that you can use to remedy this, but I'll leave this thread open for any other users who may have any ideas on this. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us another shout. 

Thanks again! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Exactly, the files themselves get added 2-times, 3-times, x-times instead of a reference to the memory location of the first upload.

I think it is less a problem with the desktop app, than caused by the implementation of Dropbox, right? To find a workaround I was

- Trying to upload the files via web interface.

- Playing with the CLI, which is just for setting up, if I get it right.

If anybody got any idea, please let me know.

Thanks

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?