cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I cancel my computer backup?

How can I cancel my computer backup?

timq
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I apparently selected pc backup when I installed Dropbox and naturally I'm out of storage on my Dropbox account now.  I don't want and have no need to have my pc backed up to it.  I have the desktop app but am not able to find the preferences section to stop it from backing up.  I did try just deleting My PC from Dropbox but a message comes up and says if I delete "My PC" it says it will be removed from my Dropbox and from the computer.  If I delete it in Dropbox, does that mean I'll lose everything on my laptop too?  Sorry if it sounds like a newbie question but I am. 🙂 Any help stopping the PC backup would be greatly appreciated.

55 Replies 55

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @solargirl, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer.

Have you tried following the steps outlined in this Help Center article to disable it yet? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PhilippePM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, as said my Desktop is on Dropbox and I do not want that ! 

/Users/philippePM/Dropbox/Mac/Desktop is how it is now but I would like to supress the Dropbox in the middle. I surely did something wrong but I do not know what. Can you help ? Thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@PhilippePM wrote:

Hi, as said my Desktop is on Dropbox and I do not want that !

You activated the computer backup feature, which MOVES your key folders into your Dropbox folder. Disable the backup feature and choose the option to keep content in folders on your Mac.

PhilippePM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your help. It worked. PhilippePM

pdolmsted
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This didn't work for me. I though I disabled it (using a Mac Monterey) following the instructions and it's still there after a reboot. 

If I go back to DropBox Preferences/Backup/Manage Backups I am presented with a window asking me to choose folders to back up. None of them are clicked. However, the "Mac" icon shows up on DropBox with the folder Documents that is merrily being backed up. What do I do to stop it?!

I'v tried removing it, rebooting it, and all sorts of other things. Can someone help? 

Thanks, 

- Peter

pdolmsted
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This didn't work for me. I though I disabled it (using a Mac Monterey) following the instructions and it's still there after a reboot. 

Hello,

When installing DropBox on a new machine I mistakenly enabled backups of my Documents folder (Mac Monterey).

I would like to stop this "feature" but cannot. I have removed it from Devices via security on dropbox.com

If I go to DropBox Preferences/Backup/Manage Backups I am presented with a window asking me to choose folders to back up. None of them are clicked. However, the "Mac" icon shows up on DropBox with the folder Documents that is merrily being backed up.

I'v tried removing DropBox, rebooting it, and all sorts of other things. It is still there as Mac/Documents on all devices that log in.

I have followed various forum discussions and this seems to be a known problem.

Can someone help? 

Thanks, 

- Peter

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @pdolmsted, if you're still experiencing issues disabling the computer backup feature, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance for them to investigate in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pdolmsted
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I finally worked it out. I needed to remove the computer completely (unlink it), and then wait for it to finish syncing on other computers. Then because it was unlinked I could delete the folders and files using one of the other computers, and eventually relink the computer in question. Because there were 100Gb or so involved I needed to wait a long time between steps until everything had stopped syncing. I think that was causing the previous weird problems: it was still syncing and needed to purges it's system before trying something new. The message is "not to panic"! 

I may go back to using Backup once I am comfortable with my new system and have it all set up. 

Thanks, 

- Peter

joanne l.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried to disable my pc backup, however, when I go into my Preferences, then to the Backups tab where I click Manage backups and it only allows me to Set up the folders.  I click on the Set up and it does not complete after hours of waiting.  I've tried several times.  Please let me know how to disable the PC back up.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @joanne l.3!

If you’re only seeing an option to set up your backup, then it sounds like it’s already disabled for your Dropbox account. However, you can definitely send over a screenshot of what you see on your end, so that I can double check this for you. 

Besides that, can you clarify if you’re still seeing your Documents/Desktop/Downloads folders on your Dropbox account?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    BobBurgess New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Another Fed Up User New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?