cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete version hisotry?

How to delete version hisotry?

KeithWayne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, everyone. I sent a message through support chat and was directed to Community Board. Glad to be part of Dropbox...learning and checking things out. Please read below and offer any support that you may have. Thanks! -Keith

HEY THERE! 🙂 Thanks for being there. I need to delete files in the version history that have errors in the content that I don't want others to see--and some of the content has change, of course, as well, in other instances. How can I do this--or can you execute a DELETE ALL HISTORY from the back office if we can't access it? I'm thinking that in the future, if we don't want to have older versions in the history folder, we should just delete the file first before uploaded the new version (or would we have to rename it)...new to Dropbox, so a bit to learn is all. I'm looking at the possibility of extending/upgrading our account here, as our team may need more space here shortly. 🙂 Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @KeithWayne, welcome to our Community and to Dropbox!

You can't actually manually delete the version history for file, however, depending on your plan, the version history will be deleted by itself at some point.

If you don't want to have older versions of a file visible, deleting the old file before uploading the new one, would be a great workaround. 

And you can always use our Idea board to submit your idea for a possible feature!

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @KeithWayne, welcome to our Community and to Dropbox!

You can't actually manually delete the version history for file, however, depending on your plan, the version history will be deleted by itself at some point.

If you don't want to have older versions of a file visible, deleting the old file before uploading the new one, would be a great workaround. 

And you can always use our Idea board to submit your idea for a possible feature!

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

KeithWayne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks, Hannah! — thank you for your prompt and mindful reply. I appreciate you. -Keith

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Oh, not a problem, Keith, happy to help! 

I hope you have a great weekend!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

KeithWayne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You, too. Thank, again.

srndreambox
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I didn't see this put into the idea board so I just added it.

Anyone interested, please vote for it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Delete-Version-History-for-a-file/idi-p/565824

JVN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It does not appear to me as a solution. The point is; at times you have a version of your file that is definitely wrong and you do NOT want for any reason or error that version to be restored. How can you permanently delete it from the Version History? You would like to keep the other versions but not the wrong one/ones.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JVN wrote:

How can you permanently delete it from the Version History?

As stated by Hannah above, it's not possible to delete the version history of a file, whether it's a single entry or the entire version history.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    JVN Explorer | Level 4
    srndreambox Helpful | Level 6
    KeithWayne Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?