Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to selectively sync on a windows 10 laptop.

selectincorp New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I would like to unsync certain files but have them remain on dropbox.com site and on other devices where they might be downloaded. I do not see the selective sync button for that. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I am trying to selectively sync on a windows 10 laptop.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @selectincorp, you can have a look at the steps outlined below whenever you get a chance to change these settings on your pc: 

1. Click the Dropbox icon from your system tray
  1. Click the  icon, and then select Preferences from the menu.
  1. Click Sync .
  1. Click Selective Sync (Windows). 
  1. A window will appear with a list of all the main folders in your Dropbox folder: (Note: The folders with a check ☑️ next to them are synced to your computer.) 
  2. Check again the folders that you’ll need to sync to your computer's hard drive. (Note: Folders that remain unchecked will be removed from your hard drive, but will still be available on dropbox.com and on any other computers linked to your Dropbox account.) 
  1. When you're done, select OK.

In case you can’t follow the steps listed above or you’re seeing something different on your end, please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll try to follow-up with you a bit more closely. Thanks again for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @selectincorp, you can have a look at the steps outlined below whenever you get a chance to change these settings on your pc: 

1. Click the Dropbox icon from your system tray
  1. Click the  icon, and then select Preferences from the menu.
  1. Click Sync .
  1. Click Selective Sync (Windows). 
  1. A window will appear with a list of all the main folders in your Dropbox folder: (Note: The folders with a check ☑️ next to them are synced to your computer.) 
  2. Check again the folders that you’ll need to sync to your computer's hard drive. (Note: Folders that remain unchecked will be removed from your hard drive, but will still be available on dropbox.com and on any other computers linked to your Dropbox account.) 
  1. When you're done, select OK.

In case you can’t follow the steps listed above or you’re seeing something different on your end, please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll try to follow-up with you a bit more closely. Thanks again for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

lostinanart New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is the procedure I find posted repeatedly to activate selective sync. My problem is, when I click on the Dropbox Icon it opens the Dropbox folder, but there is no "gear" icon anywhere to be found.  I tried updating the app (Windows 10) successfully, but still no gear icon or any sort of preference or settings tab.  The settings tab on the website for my account has no selective sync option either.  A real mystery. 

Super User II
Super User II

@lostinanart wrote:

My problem is, when I click on the Dropbox Icon it opens the Dropbox folder, but there is no "gear" icon anywhere to be found.

You're likely clicking the wrong icon.

It's the Dropbox icon in your system tray (near your clock) that you want to single-click. That will open the Dropbox app, not your Dropbox folder. If you click the Dropbox icon on your desktop you'll get the folder. Also, older versions of the Dropbox app would also open the folder if you double-clicked the system tray icon.

kirba
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks !

MurphyDog1 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have same problem. Can't get around it. Have single-clicked on Dropbox icon (near clock, bottom right of screen) but no gear icon anywhere. Help! 

Super User II
Super User II

@MurphyDog1 wrote:

Have single-clicked on Dropbox icon (near clock, bottom right of screen) but no gear icon anywhere. Help! 

The interface has changed a bit since this thread was created. The icon you're looking for is in the upper-right corner. It's your account photo now, if you've set one.

You can also CTRL-left click the Dropbox icon (again, in the system tray by your clock) to get the legacy menu, and select Preferences.

MurphyDog1 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you! Solved! Much appreciated.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?