cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My account

I'm having trouble with the syncing of my devices, and am unclear on my quota usage. Can you help?

Jay65
Helpful | Level 6

I have had a "basic" DROPBOX account for more than five yrs. Earlier in 2019, I tried to add my account to a second laptop.  At that time, I had the account on a desktop, a laptop, and my cell phone.  But when I tried to add the account to a second laptop, there was much confusion.  I learned that with the free account, only three devices are allowed.  Fine.  But now, my account on my desktop NO LONGER SYNCS with the first laptop.  I have tried for several months, in email contact with "community," to find out how to fix this issue, to no avail.  Please help.  I need the files on the desktop to be available on laptop one.  I am a computer illiterate and find your website very confusing.  I would purchase more space.  But not if I can't understand "instructions" for my present account.  By the way, I was told sometime back by DROPBOX that my account was "full."  It doesn't appear to be full to me.  Thanks for whatever help I will be offered/allowed.  John Coker

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay65
Helpful | Level 6

I suppose the problem has been corrected.  I downloaded DB again.  Thanks, especially to Celeste.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Celeste
Dropboxer

Hello @Jay65, thanks for reaching out!

As you correctly mentioned, Dropbox Basic accounts can be linked to up to 3 devices. However, attempting to link a 4th one would not affect the syncing of the already linked computers. 

What is most likely the issue is the Dropbox desktop applications on the linked computers are not active just now. Do note that devices do not sync to each other, but to the Dropbox website. And so in this case it sounds like either:

1. The desktop device is not syncing to the website, and so not 'sending' the content across - or,
  2. The first laptop is not syncing to the website, and so not 'receiving' the updates - and vice versa. 
  3. Neither device is syncing and so no information is updated on the website.

Not to worry though - I was able to locate your recent ticket to us, and so have reached out to you there. 

Send me a quick reply there when you can and we will then work on getting all 3 devices up to date and getting to the bottom of what's going in with your quota!

Thank you in advance!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jay65
Helpful | Level 6
I haven’t a clue if I am following your instructions.

Jay65
Helpful | Level 6
Any help available?

Celeste
Dropboxer

Hi @Jay65!

I was able to locate the ticket you opened with us via email, and so you should have received my email reply at the email address inbox of the address associated with your Community profile. 

Send me a quick reply via that email thread and we can continue directly. 

Thanks!

Celeste

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Jay65
Helpful | Level 6

I am responding correctly?

Jay65
Helpful | Level 6

I suppose the problem has been corrected.  I downloaded DB again.  Thanks, especially to Celeste.

View solution in original post

Celeste
Dropboxer

Hi @Jay65 - thank you so much for your kind feedback!

I'm glad to read the issue was resolved. 

If I can help with anything else moving forwards let me know. 

Have a great week ahead!

Celeste

Need more support?