cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I uninstalled Dropbox and not my Desktop is ruined. How can I fix this?

I uninstalled Dropbox and not my Desktop is ruined. How can I fix this?

Pablomvindas21
New member | Level 2

I unistalled dropbox and my desktop is ruined, it went black and the hardlinks of the icons are now useless, i reinstalled it and it wasnt fixed, and the press space and fix hardlinks button is not working..

i want to get rid of dropbox.. i just want my pc from 10min ago back...

12 Replies 12

Re: HELP

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Pablomvindas21, I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with this!

When the app was installed previously, did you backup your Desktop folder with the computer backup options?

If you're not sure, please check if there is a "My PC/Mac" folder within your Dropbox folder. 

The folder may be hidden, so please make sure that the option to "show hidden files" is enabled on your computer, or just check for the folder mentioned above in your account online.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mad11
New member | Level 2

This is BS.  I have things to do and because of this, I will NEVER use dropbox again...truly, you should have to buy me a brand new computer.  I am considering calling a lawyer.  I am going to miss out on days of work.

marielleklapp
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne - this happened to me and I want my desktop OFF of DropBox - I know I somehow caused this but I am in so much trouble now and need it fixed IMMEDIATELY.  I see "My PC" in my dropbox. What are next steps?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @marielleklapp,

In situation you are, you can take a look here. 😉

Hope this helps.

marielleklapp
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for trying but no that didn't help.  I'm in tears.  This is horrible and there is no way to get help from DropBox. How can they do this to people???

Re: I uninstalled Dropbox and not my Desktop is ruined. How can I fix this?

TannerD
New member | Level 2

Same thing happened to me, dropbox took all of my files off of my computer and when I deleted drop box all of my files were gone. I went to the drop box website to see if they were backed up, all there is there is empty folders. Drop box has to be the worst program all of time. I will definitely tell everyone I can not to use them and I will never use them again.

TannerD
New member | Level 2

same thing happened to me... terrible company. They should really insert a warning saying, that they are taking all of your files off of your computer before they let you proceed. 

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @TannerD,

I fully agree to you about miss of ideas in the application design. 🤷 Unfortunately, it's as is and we can't do anything, except see the details how it works. For more details in this direction you can take a look on the discussion here. 😉

Hope this sheds some light.

frasolu1010
New member | Level 2

SHAME ON YOU 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marielleklapp Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropboxer
    frasolu1010 New member | Level 2
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?