cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long path file names (greater than 260 characters)

Long path file names (greater than 260 characters)

Walter H.11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a few hundred files with paths that are more than 260 characters.  However, I have Windows 10 set to enable long file paths (greater than 260 characters), and my experience is that Dropbox will properly sync files with paths greater than 260 characters.   Assuming this is the case, would there be any reason to take the time to identify files with long path names and reduce the path names to be under the traditional limit Windows limit of 260 characters?  If I do decide to reduce the file path lengths, should I do this on the Windows side or on the Dropbox side?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Walter H.11, thanks for messaging today!

If you've enabled the long file paths, then you shouldn't have any issues with syncing, so you wouldn't need to identify those files. The unlikely situation is if you install the app on a Windows machine which doesn't have the long file path fix implemented.

If you do need to change the file path, the easiest method is via the Dropbox folder, since those changes will sync to the site instantly and be reflected on other devices too.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Walter H.11, thanks for messaging today!

If you've enabled the long file paths, then you shouldn't have any issues with syncing, so you wouldn't need to identify those files. The unlikely situation is if you install the app on a Windows machine which doesn't have the long file path fix implemented.

If you do need to change the file path, the easiest method is via the Dropbox folder, since those changes will sync to the site instantly and be reflected on other devices too.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

maxxkayne
Helpful | Level 5

I have come up with 2 solutions that can help solve this issue.

The first is using the subst command to create a virtual drive which points to the dropbox folder. However this only shortens it from c:\users\name\Dropbox to drive X:  for example. Using subst will make it temporary only so making a change in the registry will make it permanent.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices

is the location in registry.

You would add X:                   \??\C:\Users\name\Dropbox path

for a permanent virtual drive.

The second solution does not require the virtual drive to be setup.

It's adding an option in the context menu. When you right-click on the folder you get an option to add the folder to a favorites folder, e.g if you need to open a file deep in your folder structure, say folder 15, right-click on folder 14/15 to add to your nominated folder i.e. Favourites it will add a shortcut in the folder. Go to the new location i.e  C:\Favourites\Folder 15 and now you can access the file that you could not access before.

If you require further clarification on this, reach out! be happy to help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

maxxkayne Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?