cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Windows Explorer Performance - Click slow, stutters

Terrible Windows Explorer Performance - Click slow, stutters

Jim G.24
Helpful | Level 5

Not sure when this started happening, but we've been paid Dropbox users for years.  The new issues may be a deal killer.  Clicking on a file or folder to rename takes SECONDS.  It's almost like Explorer is "stuttering".  This is on i5 10th Gen and Ryzen R5 machines -- new stuff.  Once we kill Dropbox, performance is great.  We love Dropbox, but this really is a problem!

19 Replies 19

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Jim G.24, let's see what we can do. 

Are you having the same issue when you try to open or rename an item directly from the desktop app?

Could you also try temporarily closing or disable any third party app, like a security or antivirus software, that could be affecting this?

Give them a shot and let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jim G.24
Helpful | Level 5

Issue only present when using via Desktop app in Windows.  I can't disable McAfee ENS as it's corporate controlled policy.  The issue was present before on my machines, so a recent build in the last few months must be the cause or changes made by a recent build.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Could you try out these steps and let me know if they do the trick?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jim G.24
Helpful | Level 5

Just tried that and will monitor.  What does repairing the hard links actuall do?  Thanks

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
OS permissions can prevent files from being viewed or edited by unauthorized logins, although they can be restored manually through a fairly simple process.

As such, sometimes these steps can help when syncing becomes stuck.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Jim G.24
Helpful | Level 5

That did not resolve the issue.  Still "flickering" as we try to access, rename or do anything else to files.  Again, as soon as we exit Dropbox, the problem goes away.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Sorry to hear that, @Jim G.24 - thanks for trying that out though!

Could you check your Support options to contacting our team, as they'll be able to have a better look into this for you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

PeppeVaro
Helpful | Level 6
I have the same problem. I have had also in the past and these solutions are temporary and partial.
It’s becoming very difficult to keep using Dropbox. I have been a paying user for years but if this issue is not resolved I will consider moving out.

Helpful | Level 6

I am having the same issue with Dropbox slowing windows explorer whenever I try to open a Dropbox file. I also use the local store on my D drive as opposed to selective syncing. I am running Windows 11 64 bit. The computer is a new Dell workstation with the latest Xeon chip. Dropbox has been running flawlessly on the computer for 5 months. The issue only started recently with a new Dropbox update. No issues with any other program.

I tried all the Alt-H fixes and now the task bar icon does not open the program. This is an issue with Dropbox. I spent 2 hours with a tech support chat that wanted me to move the folder to another drive. The current drive has no issues after scanning it. After uninstalling Dropbox windows explorer I can open any file or folder in the Dropbox folder that is on the hard drive instantly. This an issue with Dropbox. I have reinstalled the program and the issue immediately comes back. I hope that Dropbox will fix the issue which was caused by an update of the latest Dropbox build.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

thipsusi New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    1537954 Helpful | Level 6
    PeppeVaro Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?