cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: You deleted 7141 files...

You deleted 7141 files...

GerardG
Explorer | Level 4

Today 7141 files were deleted from my dropbox account all at once.

I did not give this order and alot of important files are gone. 

The files are not in my deleted files folder so i can not get them back..

Could you please help me? 

Regards, 

Gerard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

Did you more or rename any folders? If so, doing so is seen as a deletion (of the old fodler name) and an add (of the new folder name) and will generate the same message.

If not, then either you, another process on your computer or another device connected to your account had to have caused the deletion. Dropbox is not capable of deleting your files on its own. Use the Events page and Previous Versions to determine where the deletion occurred.

Also:

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

Did you more or rename any folders? If so, doing so is seen as a deletion (of the old fodler name) and an add (of the new folder name) and will generate the same message.

If not, then either you, another process on your computer or another device connected to your account had to have caused the deletion. Dropbox is not capable of deleting your files on its own. Use the Events page and Previous Versions to determine where the deletion occurred.

Also:

View solution in original post

GerardG
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Rich for the quick reply!

I did not rename any folders or add any new.. so i'm still not sure what caused the files to be deleted...

I was able to recover all files by searching the deleted maps in dropbox search bar (They did not show up in the "Deleted Files" tab), and pressing right click "Recover". 

Really curious about what could have caused the mass delete! 

Thanks again for the help! 

Cheers 

Rich
Super User II

GerardG wrote:

Really curious about what could have caused the mass delete!

Look at the previoous version history for one of the restored files. That will at least show you which device/account initiated the deletion. Look to that device for the actual cause.

meshfin
New member | Level 2

This is happening to me, second time now.  I was told Drop box can't delete files either but something is very very wrong.  Last month my entire work folder (30,000+) files were deleted and not by me.  I had to recover them.  Its

happening again today. All the files were there when I left and now there are thousands missing.  I won't believe that this was me and has nothing to do with Drop box and their weaknesses.  Once, maybe, but not twice!

Alexis G.1
Super User

@meshfin wrote:

This is happening to me, second time now.  I was told Drop box can't delete files either but something is very very wrong.  Last month my entire work folder (30,000+) files were deleted and not by me.  I had to recover them.  Its

happening again today. All the files were there when I left and now there are thousands missing.  I won't believe that this was me and has nothing to do with Drop box and their weaknesses.  Once, maybe, but not twice!

Check previous post by SuperUser Rich. He instruct how to check the History of the file so you can pin point why is this happening. Again, Dropbox do not delete any file for itself. This is just impossible.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?