cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't establish secure internet connection"

"Can't establish secure internet connection"

Uwe K.2
Helpful | Level 5

Starting yesterday in our corporate office (all sharing the same internet connection) we found two PCs suddenly are not syncing with Dropbox anymore, showing the well known "Can't establish secure internet connection" error.

Other PCs work normally.

We are located in Germany and using Windows 8.1 PCs. All Dropbox clients are up-to-date (version 3.2.4).

Upon further investigation and using Process Monitor from SysInternals I found that the erronous PCs create connections to CloudFront servers while the working ones don't.

An example would be

server-54-230-198-253.lhr50.r.cloudfront.net

When entering the URL https://server-54-230-198-253.lhr50.r.cloudfront.net/ into my browser, I get an error

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

While I don't know whether my investigation is actually related to the error, I still want to report it here.

My questions:

• Is anyone else having similar issues?
  • Could the CloudFront servers and the SSL errors be the source of the issue?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Can't establish secure internet connection"

Jonathan C.23
Dropboxer

Hi Glen, I've gone ahead and temporarily disabled autoupdates for your account while we investigate the source of connectivity issues for users in Oman. In the meanwhile, could you try 3.10.11? https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204347726-Stable-Build-3-10-11

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Uwe K.2
Helpful | Level 5

BTW: When entering the mentioned server into

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=server-54-230-198-253.lhr50.r.cloudfront.net

it says:

No SSL certificates were found on server-54-230-198-253.lhr50.r.cloudfront.net. Make sure that the name resolves to the correct server and that the SSL port (default is 443) is open on your server's firewall.

Uwe K.2
Helpful | Level 5

The solution was actually simple, once we figured out:

1. Log the client off from Dropbox
  2. Log in as another Dropbox user
  3. Log that other Dropbox user off again from the client
  4. Log in the original Dropbox user which failed initially

Now the sync works again. Verified for two PCs. Also the erroneous server-54-230-198-253.lhr50.r.cloudfront.net URL is not contacted anymore.

The Dropbox support was just as you would expect: Sending late, unhelpful robot texts, claiming I was too stupid to read the documentation or have a working firewall.

So still great product, although aweful support.

AltanaESP L.
New member | Level 1

Had similar issue. However, the solution is quite simple... for some reason the date and time on my PC was reset to 1 June 2001. As soon as I reset it to the current date, the problem was solved.

Adv. Vivek S.
New member | Level 1

Can't establish secure internet connection. I am receiving this message since last 2 days. need help as files are not being uploaded and shared

Glen Michael T.
New member | Level 1

Hi. I'm having trouble with this "can't establish secure internet connection" error. I have a Mcafee Antivirus installed. Tried uninstalling Mcafee and reinstalling dropbox to no avail. Also tried the following with no positive results: apply "no proxy" in the settings, type command prompt netsh winsock reset catalog, turning off firewall and still nothing. Can anyone help with this issue? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Jonathan C.23
Dropboxer

Hi Glen, I've gone ahead and temporarily disabled autoupdates for your account while we investigate the source of connectivity issues for users in Oman. In the meanwhile, could you try 3.10.11? https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204347726-Stable-Build-3-10-11

View solution in original post

Glen Michael T.
New member | Level 1

Hi Jonathan. Thanks for the help. That version works like a charm. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Glen Michael T. New member | Level 1
    Jonathan C.23 Dropboxer
    Adv. Vivek S. New member | Level 1
    AltanaESP L. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?