cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Smart" sync keeps downloading Online Only Files

"Smart" sync keeps downloading Online Only Files

adamschoales
Helpful | Level 5

I am growing increasingly frustrated with this so called "smart sync" feature Dropbox has recently introduced (or rather forced upon me).

I have a number of files I've brought over to Dropbox using the finder on my Mac, that I have then marked as online only, in hopes that it would upload the files and then remove them from my local storage, which is limited. However Dropbox keeps randomly re-downloading the files to my system even after telling it that I want the files to be online only. 

This feature is supposed to "save hard disk space", which it does seem to do temporarily before it just starts downoading things again. It seems as though the only safe way to keep files from my drive is the old fashioned selective sync from preferences, but this is a backward way of working, especially when I want to have the folder show up on my local drive so I can bring files into it, but I may want those files to only live online.

Has anyone found a solution to this abnormal behaviour (that, once again I might add, was forced on us as justification to increase the price of the paid service)?

75 Replies 75

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @David_aus, thanks for joining the discussion here.

Based on your description, I'm assuming that your antivirus program is what's causing your Online Only files to become local again, probably when it scans and/or indexes them.

Could that be the case here, David?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

David_aus
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

It could be the antivirus program.

If so, I could change the settings so that the files I have in Dropbox aren't scanned -but I don't know the security implications.

I don't have the time or patience to keep trying to find the reason for the Dropbox malfunction. I've had Dropbox for quite a while and haven't had this problem until I started using Dropbox on my limited hard drive 256GB laptop.  It demonstrated that "smart sync" doesn't work in real world environments. Others on this blog have also had the problem.

I use One Drive for another thing that I do, and don't have this problem.

Dropbox has always been a bit clunky because it sometimes doesn't clearly tell you what it is doing, or to find the right place to click for a common action. It reminds me of when VHS recorders needed an expert professional to make it do what you wanted.

I'd like you to refer this to someone who can fix Dropbox so that if you select "off line" it means that the file or files stay off line. I know it can be done.

David

dries1
Helpful | Level 5

I'm running Windows 11 on a Dell laptop, and I have the same issue.

Every time I:

* run a virus scan via Trend Micro, OR

* open a microsoft office program, OR

* open a folder via Windows Explorer

Dropbox starts downloading ALL the files in the folder, and for virus scanning, all 3TB of data from my dropbox. DESPITE me selecting 'online only' MULTIPLE times before.

Surely this is a fundamental design flaw on dropbox's product, and should be fixed ASAP.

I await a solution please.

Thanks

DanJam
Explorer | Level 4

I had a similar problem.  Mine started downloading, filled my hard drive, told me there was not enough space to complete the sync (because I don't have 2Tb free) and like you, no amount of clicking "Online-Only" would stop it.

I uninstalled the dropbox app, deleted the Dropbox file from my hard drive and re-installed the app. It resynced all my files back onto the hard drive (ONLINE ONLY) and solved the problem.

hitammysue
Helpful | Level 6

I did this but it only fixed the problem for a few days.  It's randomly synching so much old data that should be on-line only.  I'm ready to move to Microsoft One Drive.  I've been a DropBox user and advocate for at least 10 years, but something has changed, and the company is unresponsive.  I have no idea how to get a person on the phone.  Super frustrated.  

hitammysue
Helpful | Level 6

Definitely seems like a fundamental design flaw.  After almost a decade of loving DropBox, I'm ready to move 2TB of data to Microsoft One Drive.  I can't take the instability of the Synch function.   I want all my data on-line and only a few folders local.  I'm technically proficient and searching for solutions to the constant issue of Dropbox trying to download all my files locally has become a waste of my time and is a drain to all my local storage.  Microsoft One Drive here I come ... !

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hitammysue, thanks for posting here!

Have you contacted our Support team about this by any chance? If so, can you send me the ticket number in question? 

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hitammysue
Helpful | Level 6

hi @Megan

I tried to find a number to call to get a person on the phone but could not locate one.  I also tried to describe my issues in the chat dialogue box but was just being sent links to solutions that I'd already tried. I need someone to be able to remote into my desktop, observe the issue and help me find a solution.  I'm very good at reading blogs and finding solutions to all kinds of PC related issues.  This issue with DropBox has eluded me.  For some reason, DropBox continues to synch folders that are clearly marked at "on-line" only.  It's beyond frustrating.  I can relate to all the users in this chat string.  If there is a phone number or an in person help desk, please let me know.  

thx!
t

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hitammysue, currently, we only provide incoming phone support for team admins of Dropbox Business subscriptions.

Have you tried contacting the team via email using the support link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BCZE
Helpful | Level 6
I’m having the same issue on Windows. My Dropbox files are all set to be online only, but for some reason, the ENTIRE thing keeps re-downloading to my computer and suddenly I’ve lost a a terabyte of space on my hard drive. Then when I make it online only again, it all re-syncs and I get a notice from my internet company that I’m making out my data. It’s so maddening, but my clients love sharing files through Dropbox so I’m stuck trying to figure out the why.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Toffees1878 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?