cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing dropbox from my computer

removing dropbox from my computer

SNissen2022
New member | Level 2

I inadvertently downloaded a malware or virus last night and when I realized it, I shut down my laptop.  I want to go back in and remove the whole Dropbox drive from my computer so it can't hurt those files.  But they are all local as well as Dropbox as I have had them there a really long time before there was as app with the synch feature.  How do I do this so I remove the whole DB drive from just that computer?

Thanks for your help...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: removing dropbox from my computer

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @SNissen2022 - sorry to hear about this.

If you were affected by ransomware and you'd like to unlink this specific computer before you turn on your device again, you could remove it from your account's Security page on our website.

At that point, the Dropbox folder on your affected computer will be just a local copy with no syncing properties. You'll be able to move or delete it without affecting any of your Dropbox files online. 

For future reference, you can have a look at this Help Center article for more information about viruses and phishing and tips on how to protect yourself against them. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @SNissen2022 - sorry to hear about this.

If you were affected by ransomware and you'd like to unlink this specific computer before you turn on your device again, you could remove it from your account's Security page on our website.

At that point, the Dropbox folder on your affected computer will be just a local copy with no syncing properties. You'll be able to move or delete it without affecting any of your Dropbox files online. 

For future reference, you can have a look at this Help Center article for more information about viruses and phishing and tips on how to protect yourself against them. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SNissen2022
New member | Level 2

Thank you so much.  You saved me!!  Now my follow up question is whether or not I can add that device back on in the security settings, now that the malware has been removed.

Thanks so much!

Walter
Dropboxer
If you've made sure that your device is clean now, you can install the desktop app and link your account anew normally @SNissen2022

Let me know if anything else comes up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SNissen2022
New member | Level 2

GOt it!!  Thank you so much

Walter
Dropboxer
You're most welcome @SNissen2022

See you around the Community and have a wonderful week ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    SNissen2022 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?