cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

James J.1
New member | Level 1

Today I noticed Dropbox gradually consuming increasing amounts of memory after being started. The process responsible is ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.0.3/dropbox, started by dropbox.py start. After a few hours, I have to kill the process because it makes my computer unusable, going, in that period, from a single-digit percentage of memory use to over forty-five percent.

47 Replies 47

Re: 3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Hi James! Thanks for letting us know about this.

If you are seeing heavy usage from Dropbox after updating to the latest version, please note that the actions that Dropbox is performing are a one time process for the latest version of the Dropbox application, and its duration and resource utilization depend on the number of files that you have synced to your device.

This means that if you have a large number of files, you may see heightened resource usage from the application, even after normal file sync is completed. The process is designed to give priority to your normal Dropbox sync functionality, so the duration of this process might be extended during periods of heavy Dropbox usage.

If you would like to reduce the amount of resources that this process is taking, you can use the steps below. However, keep in mind that this will reduce the priority for all Dropbox operations and this will ultimately delay the time it takes to complete this process.

Keep in mind these instructions are not permanent and priority will be back to normal on restart.

Linux: http://www.nixtutor.com/linux/changing-priority-on-linux-processes

Let me know if this helps!

KY L.
New member | Level 2

I leave my office computer on for the weekend and Dropbox is using 5G of memory when I check it on Monday.
Admittedly I have tons of files on Dropbox but the old versions won't take up so much memory (~2G AFAIR).

Joe E.
New member | Level 1

Can confirm this. I'm running is on a Crunchbang system (Debian Wheezy) and leaving Dropbox on for longer than a few days is impossible. Like KY L. says, it eventually takes up 5 or more GB in memory just sitting there. The older versions never did this. I also have nearly everything on my computer backed up by Dropbox (which is why I pay for Pro) and this is becoming a problem.

The comment left by Ashley doesn't really fit since this isn't a CPU problem but an obvious, slow memory leak.

Richard H.5
New member | Level 1

I am also seeing this, and based on the lack of response seen here I am getting ready to switch to another product.

My system has very low activity so I am "only" seeing about 2G/week of memory leakage. This is unacceptable.

$ while true; do

uptime;ps h --pid cat .dropbox/dropbox.pid -o pid,cmd,rsz
sleep 24h; done
21:59:28 up 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.19, 0.11, 0.05
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 79708
21:59:28 up 1 day, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.05
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 335164
21:59:28 up 2 days, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 622496
21:59:28 up 3 days, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 909944
21:59:28 up 4 days, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 1189612
21:59:28 up 5 days, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.32, 0.14, 0.12
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 1477480
21:59:28 up 6 days, 1 min, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.15, 0.14
2251 /home/rh/.dropbox-dist/drop 1759404

James J.1
New member | Level 1

As others remarked, this was a memory issue, not one of CPU utilization.

I tried deleting ~/.dropbox/ and I think that may have resolved the problem. It definitely resulted in smaller increments of increase in memory utilization.

I can still get memory use to increase in a worrisome way by simply running touch ~/Dropbox/some/file in a loop, but it does seem to go back down eventually, at least to some degree. I haven't had the opportunity to test its behavior over a longer period of time than a few days.

David L.13
New member | Level 1

Same issue here on Mint Mate Trusty Distro. Dropbox was consuming ~2.6G of 3.9G bringing my computer to its knees. Very ugly.

Cristhian U.
New member | Level 1

Just to add on, this is also happening on Linux Mint Cinnamon 17. I had noticed that the latest Dropbox version started making my fan speed up and was consuming over 100% of my cpu (using up one core and then some). Since since I needed the files to finish syncing I left it on and returned 9 hours later to find that Dropbox was using 5.9 GB of RAM and caused my system to start using 2 GB of Swap memory. Not sure what' happened with that last update...

Cristian A.
New member | Level 1

Same here, Kubuntu 14.10 and Dropbox 3.0.3. CPU usage is mostly OK, but RAM usage keeps going up, eventually filling all the RAM and flooding the swap partition. I have to quit/restart Dropbox every 24-48 hours (my server is constantly on and I have 1000GB of Dropbox storage).

Joe E.
New member | Level 1

James J, didn't deleting that folder finally solve the issue? I'm resisting doing that just because I'll need to reset up all my settings again, but if it fixes this horrible issue, I'll do it.

Thanks.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

joes Explorer | Level 3
    Cyber M. New member | Level 2
    Dimitris G. New member | Level 1
    Jeroen N. New member | Level 1
    Zsolt Peter B. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?