cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I remove my computer backup folders from the site?

Can I remove my computer backup folders from the site?

Jimbo500
Helpful | Level 5

All my files were transferred to dropbox in error and having stopped the backup, they appear to have been put back on the PC.  MY PC folder still remains on dropbox. Can I safely delete it without removing the folders and files from the PC?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Removing Folder

Jimbo500
Helpful | Level 5

I did a complete backup to my ext HD and ensured they were all there then deleted the folder in dropbox.  It had transferred all the files back and left only a shortcut to the documents in the folder.  All safe and thank you for the time  spent in assisting me.

Best Regards

Jim

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Jimbo500, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application.

If you're sure you've disabled the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jimbo500
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Jay.  I am happy autobackup is now disabled but what is confusing me is the fact that all my files appear to be back on the PC but the folder is still present in dropbox , despite having rebooted.  Having stopped the backup, I received notification that all the files had been deleted from dropbox.

Moving them to C drive does not seem to be an option if they are already there!

Jay
Dropboxer

If the files are still in the Dropbox folder, then either you've copied them back to their old locations, or haven't moved them.

Could you try moving them out of the Dropbox folder on the machine? This will start the deletion process on the site when the app syncs the changes.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jimbo500
Helpful | Level 5

I did a complete backup to my ext HD and ensured they were all there then deleted the folder in dropbox.  It had transferred all the files back and left only a shortcut to the documents in the folder.  All safe and thank you for the time  spent in assisting me.

Best Regards

Jim

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it's working again, @Jimbo500. Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?