cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can’t open Excel in Excel Online when using Dropbox.com

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox.com via my iPad Pro Chrome/Safari browser. 

Recently, when I try to open/edit my Excel files (from the Dropbox.com) into MS Excel Online, instead of opening a the Excel file online in a new browser tab,  the iPad invokes the Dropbox App instead to present the Excel file in app. This is a problem as I can't edit Excel files in the Dropbox App. 

I have cleared by browser cache/history, and even ensured that in my Dropbox.com Connected Apps setting, I have selected for Excel file opens in MS Excel Online. 

They still dont work. 

Does anyone know how I can go back to opening my Excel files back on Ms Excel Online? 

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Can’t open Excel in Excel Online when using Dropbox.com

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Try changing the default apps in settings. Click on connected apps scroll down to default opening apps and change the setting to MS online. Hope that helps ..
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Jasonzhousy, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you try the steps suggested by @Arroyoshipp to see if they help?

Otherwise, could you let me know if it used to open in the Excel app, and then this behavior changed at some point? Are you able to install the Dropbox mobile app to navigate through there to then open the Excel app to edit the file?

Keep me posted with any updates!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
I have exact same problem. I used to be. able to open an excel file from dropbox.com in chrome browser via excel for web (in web browser) now I can’t do that as it opens up in the dropbox app...
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @MarekK1, thanks for messaging today!

Do you get an option to view the file via the site? Could you forward a screenshot of what you’re seeing, while hiding any personal details?

Keep me posted!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
I see the list of my files i click on open with excel for web. But instead of opening this in web version of excel
Chrome opens a new window and dropbox app gets launched - and the file is displayed in the dropbox app
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Are you using the browser on a desktop or a mobile device?

Please forward a screenshot showing where you're seeing this behavior. Thanks!

Jay

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

I have the same problem, using Chrome on my iPad Pro.

Basically instead of launching a new tab in Chrome for excel for web, it launches the Dropbox app, which presents the Excel in the App.  

It is not editable in the app, and we will have to launch MS Excel proper, to start editing. Which is not ideal.

The main problem is, how do i stop Dropbox.com on Chrome from invoking the Dropvbox app when i want to use excel for web?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Jasonzhousy, thanks for posting today!

When was the last time you were able to edit an Excel file via the Chrome browser on your iPad?

It's possible that it isn't possible to edit via Office Online on a mobile browser, so you'll need to use the app itself to edit Excel files.

Keep me posted!

Jay

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?