Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cannot access Dropbox website through Linux client

Explorer | Level 3

I have recently installed Dropbox ver 90.4.307 on Ubuntu 19.04.

When I tried to edit files through Dropbox folder I encountered errors, because they are MS Office files and I could not edit them with Libre Office, but when I try to open Dropbox webpage from the app to edit the files online I get an error: File not found. The missing file  is: 

file:///tmp/dbxl1ds6ppqj.html#1cadb55cfce97c3a5ac13f3d39b1ec0d28b24d46714ac016a5b0eea0d8868b6326e17c...

How can I access Dropbox website from within the application?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Cannot access Dropbox website through Linux client

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that the issue was browser-related, @lisior78!

Let me know if you need any assistance in future. 🙂

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @lisior78, thanks for checking in with us. 

I'd be more than happy to help, I'll just need more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Could you please clarify which application you'd like to open the Dropbox website from? Are you referring to the Dropbox desktop app?
  • Do you get this error with other files or file types as well?
  • Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message that you see when you try to open it from the web?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

- I installed the desktop application available at https://www.dropbox.com/install in a .deb package.

- The error opening files happens only with *.xlsx files, other (like *.mp4 films) work fine.

- By opening web page I mean the second option available when Dropbox tray icon is clicked (in polish version the option is "Otwórz witrynę dropbox") When I choose this option the web browser opens with the error message:ekran.png

I wanted to open the webpage to edit the *.xlsx files online.

Daniel Lisewski

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @lisior78, let’s look into this further.

When you’re opening the xlsx files through LibreOffice, what error are you getting? If the Excel file is fully synced to your machine, then this shouldn’t be an issue with Dropbox, but with how LibreOffice is attempting to open the file.

Regarding the site, when you click the globe icon on the Dropbox desktop application, it creates a temporary file that redirects you to the site directly without needing to login manually. If for some reason the file isn’t being created, or it's deleted immediately for some reason, then you’d get this error.

Are you able to login to the site manually, and then edit the file there using Office Online? Keep me posted!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I can agree that the error with opening files in Libre Office is not connected with Dropbox.

About your second question - when I enter dropbox address manually in the browser then I normally log in and can edit files online (including *.xlsx spreadsheets)

Daniel 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Okay, so we know that you can login normally via the browser, so that isn't an issue!

Do you have any restrictions on creating temp files on your machine somehow? Is the browser restricted to not allow local temp files to be opened there?

If you change the default browser to another supported browser, does the local file (when you click the globe icon) open there to login to the site?

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The problem occured when Chromium was set as the default browser. After changing to Firefox Dropbox page opened correctly.

Daniel

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that the issue was browser-related, @lisior78!

Let me know if you need any assistance in future. 🙂

Jay

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?