cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App System Requirements Opinion

Desktop App System Requirements Opinion

cmend92083
New member | Level 2

I'm just hoping to get the opinion of other users about the scenario I am stuck in. We have a couple computers that are a little older (not ancient) that have the following:

Core i5 3.2 ghz processor

4 gb RAM

350 GB hard drive

Windows 7 OS

These will be replaced in the coming year, but for now we need to have the Dropbox app to receive document submittals. Our IT department (which operates as its own company inside of our orginization) has said that these computers can't work because they do not have enough memory. That is all they will say and keep repeating it even when asked for specifics.

All Dropbox says in the help section is the type of operating system that is required. Does the above mentioned computer really sound like something that does not have the memory to handle a simple file transfer Dropbox app?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop App System Requirements Opinion

Mark
Super User II
I cannot see why it wouldnt be able to run.

I run Dropbox on a virtual Windows 10 machine with 2gb of ram quite happily.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
The Dropbox system requirements mention nothing about memory. Personally I have Dropbox running on nearly identical computers, albeit with larger drives, and it's not an issue. Dropbox runs just fine with 4GB of memory.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
I cannot see why it wouldnt be able to run.

I run Dropbox on a virtual Windows 10 machine with 2gb of ram quite happily.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
The Dropbox system requirements mention nothing about memory. Personally I have Dropbox running on nearly identical computers, albeit with larger drives, and it's not an issue. Dropbox runs just fine with 4GB of memory.

Mark
Super User II
As a side note, the IT dept. are not mixing up the hard drive size (memory) with the quota of Dropbox accounts and assuming you need a 1TB+ drive are they?

cmend92083
New member | Level 2

I have no idea because they really will not give a decent answer. However, the latest response leads me to think that this is just a money grab for their department. They are happy to get us a quote on new computers loaded with RAM and, specifically, new SSD hard drives.

Dreemer01
New member | Level 2

I am also running dropbox on an older computer. Mac OS 10.9. It now says I need 10.10 and I cannot upgrade because of older programs that I need. I have not found a solution for this? Any ideas?

JimGrisham
New member | Level 2

@Dreemer01 wrote:

I am also running dropbox on an older computer. Mac OS 10.9. It now says I need 10.10 and I cannot upgrade because of older programs that I need. I have not found a solution for this? Any ideas?

A: You might be able to run a barebones Linux or Windows client in a virtual machine (e.g. using VirtualBox) and access your dropbox files through a shared folder (or, worst case, through the built-in Windows or Linux file sharing systems).

This is not ideal for various technical reasons, but it might work in a pinch for those who have tasks not suited for the Dropbox web browser interface.

B: Alternatively, if you have more than one computer on a network (even an old desktop without a monitor or an old laptop), you could:

• run Dropbox on one of them that is still supported, and then
  • share the Dropbox folder over your network using the built-in Windows or macOS file sharing system.

That computer wouldn't have to be fast, but you'd probably want it to have a wired gigabit ethernet connection if possible, and you'd want it to be on all of the time (or most of the time).

Summary: You don't have to stop using Dropbox if you don't want to or can't upgrade your OS past MacOS 10.9.

The only real way to know if these (or other) methods will have the performance and features needed by your workflow is to test them.

- j

[Aside: Many are in the same situation - surely they have metrics to know how many people are still using 10.9. We still have 10.6 running on some legacy hardware for limited purposes... until they stopped supporting that macOS version Dropbox was a great tool there. We've switched to Resilio Sync (free for limited personal use and resonably priced for business, and your data is only stored on your machines) for file syncing on these machines.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JimGrisham New member | Level 2
    Dreemer01 New member | Level 2
    cmend92083 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?