cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app crashes in Windows 10 64-bit

Desktop app crashes in Windows 10 64-bit

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My dropbox crashes everytime i click to add my private account into my dropbox. Unistall/reinstall did not solve the problem.

20 Replies 20

Cor26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

My Dropbox don't sync anymore, can't install the software (again) and can't remove it also. Also offline installer.

Don't see the icon anymore in the taskbar.

Unlink my computer but still the same problems.

When I use a different version like 24.4.17 to install, it works for a few seconds (you can see the icon for a few seconds), but after that it disappears again.

Can't remove Dropbox in the safe mode also.

Windows 10 Home 64 bits

IE 11

Regards,

Cor

Schermafbeelding 2017-08-07 om 16.30.24.pngdropbox.png

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Cor26 , 

Thanks for your detailed description and the screenshot, much appreciated! 

It appears that something is blocking Dropbox, so I’d suggest proceeding with a fresh re-install. Before that, I’d like to ask you whether you’re using an application called Boxifier”. If you do, please let me know in your reply, since it may be the cause of the issue.

If this is not the case, please follow the steps below: 

#1. Quit Dropbox by clicking on the Dropbox icon on your system tray, then click on the gear icon and select "Quit Dropbox".

#2. Uninstall Dropbox:

#3. When the uninstall finishes, please restart your computer to ensure that the uninstall is complete.

#4. After this, please proceed to delete remaining registry entries:

a) Click the Start button. Type REGEDIT in the search box and press Enter.

b) In the Registry Editor, navigate into the following locations until you find the keys for "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate", they will be in either or both of the following two locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

c) In both or either of these folders, please delete only the "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" folders by right-clicking on the individual folders and selecting "Delete".

#5. Then, please delete the Dropbox remaining folders:

a) Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer). 

b) Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs) and press enter. 

c) Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the resulting window. 

d) Please repeat these steps with the following folders as well (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of those locations): 

%APPDATA% 
%PROGRAMFILES% 
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% 
e) Then restart your system.

Please note that deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

#6. Download the newest version of Dropbox and double click on the downloaded file 

#7. During the initial setup and sign in process apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes. Please note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder, the web interface or other linked devices while the folder was "off-line" may generate conflicted copies.

Please keep me updated on the results in your reply here! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

csornmo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My dropbox also crash on Windows 10.

All suggestions tested and not working.

??????????????????????????????????

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey csornmo, thanks for reaching out to us on the Community! 

Have you by any chance followed the steps I posted above (namely removed all previous settings & configuration so as to start anew on this device)? 

Please let me know of any troubleshooting you’ve done on your own, as well as the results you got on this discussion here & I’ll do my best to check back with you in any way I can. Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

karlchansen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is a PERVASIVE issue.  I can find posts about it all over the internet.

Dropbox used to work just fine for me.  I pay for the terabyte storage.  I pay for Dropbox Team.

I have a Lenovo P50 with 64G RAM and dual 2T PCIe NVMe SSDs.  It is a blazingly fast machine.

Until the last major Windows 10 update I had no issues with Dropbox.

After the last major update the app began hanging during startup.  Hovering over the Dropbox icon pops up the little interface that shows "Starting" as the state of the app.

Opening Windows TaskManager shows that Dropbox is consuming 23%-25% of processor time (i.e. one full core on this four core machine.)

Observing TaskManager over time shows that the memory used by the Dropbox application climbs until it gets close to 4 gigabytes, at which point the Dropbox app/interface becomes non-responsive.  Sometime thereafter the Dropbox application crashes.

I contacted Dropbox support.  They said "remove beta access, download latest release, uninstall & reinstall."

I did that.

Dropbox behaved exactly ONCE on next system restart, then began the same behavior described above.

I disabled auto-start on Dropbox.

Same behavior for manual startup.

I disabled antivirus and all task backup/mirroring utilities.

Same behavior.

I have followed the steps in the post about removing entries & folders after uninstall/reboot.

Same behavior.

THIS IS A CRITICALLY FATAL FLAW IN DROPBOX!

IF IT IS NOT FIXED ASAP I WILL BE FORCED TO TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!

p01.pngp02.pngp03.pngp04.pngp05.pngp06.pngp07.pngp08.pngp09.pngp10.pngp11.pngp12.png

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey karlchansen, I appreciate all the time you’ve devoted in gathering all that info for us! 

Because you’ve mentioned that you’ve already tried to troubleshoot the issue previously, I was able to check back on our system for your open ticket & I could see that your open request has currently reached our higher-level technicians. I’ve made sure to transfer your comments on your existing correspondence there & I’ve increased your support priority internally, so as to expedite matters for oyu. 

Please include all relevant details on this email chain, as they have direct access to your account specifics via this channel & the’ll be able to further advise how to best resolve this issue. 

I hope that this is helpful to you & I’m always here in case you need further assistance, just let me know on this discussion. Happy Monday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

csornmo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Fixed it by changing correct voltage of my RAM memory.

Wierd that dropbox stopped worked because of that thou. LOL!

M_RB
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Got exactly the same problem as karlchansen

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey M_RB, let’s look into that together! 

Can you please let me know if the Dropbox application is crashing on your device as well? In case you’re experiencing the same behavior as karlchansen above, can you please let me know whether you’ve had a chance to monitor the behavior on this machine? Are you experiencing high CPU usage on a Windows device incidentally? Have you re-installed our Beta build: 53.3.65 by any chance, as Karl mentioned above? 

Please include as much info as possible on this discussion here & I’ll make sure to check back with you & help you troubleshoot this issue in any way I can. Thanks in advance for all the time you devote in resolving that!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

M_RB
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I do not know if crashing is the correct description as the Dropbox app just closes down.

The dropbox app is using quit a lot of the CPU resources, se below.
System: Fujitsu Celsius H770, i7-7820HQ (4 core / 8 logical processors), 64 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD in total.

Dropbox app version is: 52.4.60

Dropbox CPU Usage Capture.PNG

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    M_RB Explorer | Level 3
    csornmo Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?