cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloaded files get .txt added

Downloaded files get .txt added

Mike O.1
New member | Level 1

When I download an InDesign file with the extension .indd DropBox adds a .txt to the end, which then needs to be removed to make the file work. How can I stop Dropbox from adding the .txt file

11 Replies 11

Re: Downloaded files get .txt added

Shannon L.
New member | Level 1

I have this same problem. Did you find a solution?

mary n.1
New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem as well. I tried renaming but that's not working. I have successfully downloaded .indd files before…. any help appreciated!

Griffin S.1
New member | Level 1

Even if you have the correct file extension in Dropbox, once you download to your computer Dropbox is adding a ".txt" extension.

Let's say your original file was named "filename.indd"

After downloading from Dropbox it becomes "filename.indd.txt"

Simply view the downloaded file by clicking "View in Finder" and rename the file to remove the ".txt" and it will open correctly.

Mike O.1
New member | Level 1

Griffin S.

What you outlined is correct - that is what I do - when I sync with my dropbox it is not an issue - only downloading a file adds the additional .txt - however I would prefer that dropbox change their code to recognize file types beyond just MS Office. I am not sure the reason that DropBox feels the need to add the extension. I am sure there is a reason, but perhaps we could have the option to turn that off, or select our typical extensions.

mustafa k.2
New member | Level 1

hi

whenever i try to upload any audio file it will go directly to .txt and unable to use audio at all

this is happening since a month or so 

need solution 

b.rgds

mustafa k.2
New member | Level 1

hi griffin

but thatz not the solution , its compromise, in mobile its not possible what you say ?

need a real solution , or on/off option 

rgds

joe m.60
New member | Level 1

I was using Box.com for a job recently and had absolutely no issues with downloading files of multiple types. This issue is really frustrating and a big time suck when you are shuttling several files throughout the day. If this issue isn't resolved soon, I maybe switching over to Box for my needs.

Joel H.15
Helpful | Level 5

Any updates to a solution for this? I am linking an audio file and my downloaders are getting .txt files. I do not want them to have to do the fix, they need the experience of just getting the audio file and playing it.

Thanks.

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox is not adding the .txt extension; your browser is doing it. There's nothing for Dropbox to resolve here.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joel H.15 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    joe m.60 New member | Level 1
    mustafa k.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?