cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox Can't Sync Python Executables

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox has been working well for me for the better part of a year now, but in the past week or so it has started locking up when working with auto-generated Python executable files (*.pyc). After I run a Python script, it automatically generates a compiled version of the routine in a subfolder, and all Dropbox has to say about it is, "Can't sync yaddayadda.pyc." I'd like to take this moment to strongly recommend more verbose error/logging messages in general. Same thing happens on both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 18.3.

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Can't Sync Python Executables

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @FlexicoFlexico,
☺"pyc" extension is for PYthon Compiled files, not executable. 😉 They're not something mandatory and very version specific, so better don't sync the subdirectory, you mentioned.
Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

No, this does not help at all, because these files used to sync just fine, and are labelled according to their version number and therefore won't conflict, and in other folders I've had the same type of files continue to sync just fine; it's just in the one folder.

Highlighted

In such a case, check for possible permission issue or just delete the subdirectory with compiled bytecodes, they will be regenerated on first script run. 😉
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Already did both of those several times.

Highlighted

@Flexico wrote:

Already did both of those several times.

Hi @Flexico,

As you had deleted bytecode's directory, do the sync process completes successfully before it gets regenerated? Check, if you aren't sure.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Flexico, thanks for posting us on the Community on this matter! 

Just to get started, could you include a screenshot (without personal info) in your next message for us showing us the message you’re seeing?

In what context are you using the .pyc file you’ve stored in Dropbox as you’re running the script? It sounds that the the file’s locked as another app is trying to access it & that's triggering the error message. 

As you’ve mentioned that this used to work & it’s just this one directory causing your trouble, I’d like to see if the root cause lies in Dropbox or otherwise. 

Please let me know of your findings & we’ll go from there. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

@Jane wrote:
In what context are you using the .pyc file you’ve stored in Dropbox as you’re running the script? It sounds that the the file’s is being locked as another app is trying to access it that's triggering the error message. 

Hi @Jane,

Actually, would be really strange (softly said) if locking is a reason. Compiled form is produced once only and gets updated only when script gets changed, so locking can't affect (or at least don't have to). Even more, the compiled form is optional and if there is some problem, Python interpreter keep "on fly" generated variant in RAM.

Hope this casts some light.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I started having this same issue.  *.pyc files and __pycache__ folders are stopping everything from syncing.   Is there any update on this?  I have looked for a way to ignore all *.pyc files but have not found a way to do this with dropbox.  

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I just manually upload the __pycache__ folder to the Dropbox website every so often. Not a permanent solution, but at least it gets rid of the little "working" icon on the taskbar. XD

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?