cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox installs but wont run

Dropbox installs but wont run

leedovey
New member | Level 2

I have installed Dropbox and tried the offline installer - it installs and shows the icon in Start but noting in the task bar and when you double click nothing happens.

I recreated the profile yesterday and it worked and today after a restart it wont work again.

Any idea?

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox installs but wont run

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @leedovey, thanks for posting us on our Community on this matter, I’d like to ask you just a bit more info, so as to get a better understanding of what has happened & we’ll take it from there!

• For starters, are you facing this issue on a Windows or a Mac device Lee? 
  • Did the issue occur specifically upon installing Dropbox for the first time on this computer or did you reinstall Dropbox to try to resolve an issue?
  • As you‘ve mentioned that you can see the Dropbox icon on the toolbar of your computer, can you also let me know what the Status it displays there reads? Is it grayed out by any chance? 
  • Do you have any Antivirus or Security programs that could be blocking the installation from being carried correctly in the background? Also, are you using Boxifier? 
Thanks in advance for taking the time to gather this info for me leedovey & once I have these details, I’ll check back with you in a bit more depth!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

leedovey
New member | Level 2

Hi @jane,

This is a Windows 10 Laptop - Fully updated.  

I installed the app yesterday and it installed fine and was running and ready to have an account linked to it - because I didnt know the details I left it for the user to enter them but before he did the PC was shutdown and I turned it on this morning to setup and now the icon isnt by the clock on the taskbar and when you click on the link in start nothing happens.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and restarted.

I also disabled all AV and Windows Security software and ensured the firewall was turned off just incase.  The user has full admin permissions too.

Jane
Dropboxer
I appreciate your detailed explanation Lee! 

Can you please elaborate a bit on how you would hand down the pc to the user, in order to enter their credentials? Are you working on an IT department by any chance? 

Now, all this info was really helpful, though can you also let me know whether the sign in box appeared as expected during the initial setup? At the moment, can you see any Dropbox-related processes in your Task Manager? 

Last but not least, if you’re in a corporate environment, can you check whether there was a recent Firewall update? 

Thanks again for the time you devote to gather this info for me; I’ll be awaiting your next post on this discussion @leedovey

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

leedovey
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane, Yes Dropbox installed fine and the greyed out icon in the toolbar appeared and when click asked to sign in with credentials  (I didnt have them so couldnt).  After the pc was shut down and started back up dropbox doesnt appear.

I can see Dropbox process running and have quit it and tried to run dropbox again and that appears again but no icon or any screen to login.

We support small businesses - there are only 3 people at that company and they had it working on a prevoius machine just cant on this on.  They only have Bitdefender AV on and windows Firewall and I have disabled both but it doesnt make any difference.

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for the swift reply leedovey & all of the additional details, now I have a very clear picture of the behavior you’ve encountered! 

Now, I’m assuming that you tried to launch the Dropbox application through your Windows explorer & you were unable to (i.e. that’s why you can’t access Dropbox on your desktop in the first place), is that right? 

If I were in your shoes Lee, I’d start again from scratch. If you’d like to follow my advice, you could use the steps below after you temporarily disable all Antivirus or security programs may be causing a conflict in the background:  

• Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
  • At that point, I’d suggest disabling any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=win&type=full (Windows) 

Please do keep me updated on how this works for you here & I’ll make sure to check back with you asap. Thanks again!  

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    leedovey New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?