cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel file with links to pdf can't open

Excel file with links to pdf can't open

rades
New member | Level 2

I have Excel file with some hiperlinks to pdf files in other folders. When I open file with Excel app and then click to Open link, receive this mesage:

"Sorry, we couldn't open this link. The link address my be invalid, or you may not have permission to open it." How to fix this problem. All works fine in desktop, but I need this to work on my phone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Excel file with links to pdf can't open

Mark
Super User II

Are the links pointing to other folders on your computer?

If so then it wont work I'm afraid because the files are on your computer and not your phone.

The only way you would be able to get it to work on both would be to use links to a web page and when you click on the links in Excel it opens a web page with the file.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Are the links pointing to other folders on your computer?

If so then it wont work I'm afraid because the files are on your computer and not your phone.

The only way you would be able to get it to work on both would be to use links to a web page and when you click on the links in Excel it opens a web page with the file.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

rades
New member | Level 2

On Dropbox I have a folder "Base" in it I have an excel file and several folders with documentation in pdf format. In Excel, I have chronological annotations that have a link to pdf documents from the folder. And it all works fine on a desktop computer, and for some time it worked on the mobile. Now that I open Dropbox on my mobile phone and open that excel file and click on it in the link to open up some pdf files from the folders that are also on Dropbox will not open them.

Mark
Super User II
The reason being the files are linked on your computer not your mobile.

So Excel when you click on the link is trying to go to \Rades Documents\Files\Excel etc. however, that does not exist on the mobile. The mobile will open that one file ONLY.

rades
New member | Level 2

I do not know, a month ago on the old phone it worked for me, I started the dropbox, I opened the excel file and in it click on the link and it opened my pdf doc. I do not know if the new update of Dropbox has disabled it ... or maybe the Excel application has no permission to call the pdf file from the dropbox?

Mark
Super User II
The only way it will work is, as I said, by using links to files via the website (https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/shared-links).

Maple
Dropboxer
Hi rades,

Can you share the link to the pdf in the excel file with me? Is it a www.dropbox.com/s/ link?

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox
Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?