cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Dropbox Client Alerts on macOS

How to turn off notification "Because it's online-only it won't be moved to your Recycle bin"

Maxim K.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Does someone know, how to turn off this annoying notification?

"Delete xxx.xxx? Because it's online-only it won't be moved to your Recycle bin"?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bigsky - how are you today?

I moved your post under this thread as your inquiry echoes the OP's query and to keep things neat around our Community. 

I double checked this internally and when it comes to the Smart Sync notifications and the option to disable them, this not possible I'm afraid.

This specific type of notifications is a failsafe in order to save our users from un-necessary deletion/changes and cannot be disabled. 

As for your consequent inquiry, again this is not possible; to disable those notifications beforehand.

At this point, I'd like to thank you for your feedback - I will log this with the team as a feature request.   

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps to some extent.  Please let me know if you have anything to add or ask; I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Maxim K.6  - how are you today?

Could you forward me a screenshot of this error and the steps you take that result in it so I can have a better look of the matter at hand?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Maxim K.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Steps:

1. enable smart-sync,
  2. make some directory "Online only"
  3. delete any file from it.

For every file I get this warning. I understand, how "Online only" works, can I switch this warning off?

Dropbox warning.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info Maxim - most appreciated.

As I wouldn't want to give you false information, let me check with the team and I'll get back to you once I have an update to share. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Following up on this, as I wanted to bring it under the attention of our experts, I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can have a better look into it.

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bigsky
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm using the latest macOS Dropbox client on a Mac. Everything works well but there are a handful of recurring Dropbox alerts I find extremely annoying.

The worst among the bunch are Online-only-files-related alerts, which I'm plagued by thanks to my Dropbox Pro subscription; they raise their ugly head with every (online-only) file deletion, without an option to turn off any future incarnations of it.

Picture:

oo-delete-shared.pngoo-delete.png

The following notification are less annoying since they can be turned off after their initial appearance, yet I've been wondering if there's a way to disable them in advance, before they pop for the first time? This would really streamline the deployment of many Dropbox clients I'm required to do occasionally.

deletion.pngmove-out.pngscreenshots.png

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bigsky - how are you today?

I moved your post under this thread as your inquiry echoes the OP's query and to keep things neat around our Community. 

I double checked this internally and when it comes to the Smart Sync notifications and the option to disable them, this not possible I'm afraid.

This specific type of notifications is a failsafe in order to save our users from un-necessary deletion/changes and cannot be disabled. 

As for your consequent inquiry, again this is not possible; to disable those notifications beforehand.

At this point, I'd like to thank you for your feedback - I will log this with the team as a feature request.   

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps to some extent.  Please let me know if you have anything to add or ask; I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bigsky
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks. It would be great if opting-out of those alerts would be added in the future.

KevinMcKraken
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Seems similar to other posts, but I couldn't find a solution for this particular problem:

When deleting items from Dropbox on my Windows 10 device, I get a pop-up that states that I am deleting online-only files and that I can restore them throught the web application. I understood this the first, second, and 50th time. There doen't seem to be a checkbox for "Do not show again".

Do I have any options, or am I stuck with this? It makes cleaning my massive amount of folders take much longer than necessary.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @KevinMcKraken, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I’ve moved your post under this discussion, as your initial description echoes what Maxim had asked back in June & I believe Walter’s explanation above should help you paint a clearer picture. 

I’m also following along, so please let me know if you have more questions for me. Thanks!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?