cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having an issue with using 1Password 3 - can you help?

I am having an issue with using 1Password 3 - can you help?

crut
Helpful | Level 6

When Dropbox arrived I synched 1PW3 and used both for a long time. (Mac OS 10.6.8) Since I have no need to use synching now I assumed it would be straightforward to return 1PW synch to my desktop. However, Agile tell me Dropbox sets 1PW prefs and as I have no comms to Dropbox now 1PW3 cannot find the 1PW Vault and it needs selecting Locally each time 1PW3 App is opened, although 1PW functions in Browsers.

If Dropbox sets prefs in 1PW3 there seems no way of returning to Local operation of 1PW3 by selecting the 1PW3 App.

Has anyone had this happen and can please advise a fix?

[Can't find where to give my email addy?]

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1Password 3

crut
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks Mark, I just fixed it as you 'arrived.' I went right back to a backup pre-2011 and placed it in the DB folder. 1PW wanted to 'update' when opened and I was back to pre-Dropbox (DB) condition with @ 70 passwords. Just replaced the old Vault with current and fixed. Now to get Chrome/FF/Safari going.

View solution in original post

crut
Helpful | Level 6
Agile suggested using the 1PW3 Vault within Dropbox. It worked if I went back to a 2011 Vault. Because I use Mac 10.6.8 I thought when Dropbox cut me off my Vault would return to local. Apparently I had to remove my Dropbox Account before being cut-off. Now fixed. Thanks.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

apraetor
Super User

If you're talking about 1Password 3 for PC/Mac, then you should be able to go into the application preferences and change the vault location to wherever you now keep your vault. 1Password doesn't "connect" to Dropbox on computers; it simply reads/writes a file stored within the Dropbox folder. 

crut
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks apraetor, that's what I thought but Agile says:

"1Password 3 does not maintain an internal database and relies on the Agile Keychain to store your vault information. Although a copy of your vault was being stored on your computer in your Dropbox folder, that was synced to the Dropbox cloud until you uninstalled Dropbox or unlinked your account from the installation. So from the 1Password perspective, your vault is indeed local, but your vault was stored in the Dropbox directory being synced by Dropbox to their cloud.

Do you still have your Agile Keychain, or do you have backup of it? By default 1Password 3 keeps automatic backups of your data. Open 1Password > Preferences > Backup to locate the directory in which they're stored."

Since I thought this the case I never removed my free account from DB but once I only had read access to DB 1PW3 is looking for something it cannot access and I always have to select the local Vault if opening 1 PW3 but once opened it all works. Weird?

apraetor
Super User
That's a slight misunderstanding of what AgileBits means. "1Password does not store an maintain an internal database" means it doesn't have a single app repository stored within the app directory. They abstracted it out, running a service they wrote which handles storing the data to disk. As it goes on to say, it uses a repository their software stores in a specific location, in this case within the Dropbox folder.

You are right though that the best solution is to restore a backup copy. Once that is done 1Password should behave as normal.

Tom H.
Super User

@crut

If your needing asisatnce with 1Password, I would encourage you to visit their forums @ https://discussions.agilebits.com

You have a lot of questions and I don't want to duplicate their support efforts or cause confusion. It seems you have already been in touch with the staff based upon your post here.

Be aware that the reason you can still use the browsers is they use to maintain their own browser extension database. I would not want you to loose any data. 

I strongly encourage you to reach out to the staff of 1Password again.  I also strongly encourage you to move or update to a newer version of 1Password, if possible. I personally use the new single/family/teams syncing system, because it provided's for account recovery, lost passwords etc. You may or may not be interested, but you can find more information at 1Password.com if your so inclined. Many security updates and enhancements have happened since 1Password 3.

~thightower 

1Password forum moderator

----

Paw.png If this has helped you, please Kudo this post.
Paws.png If it has solved your issue please ✓  Accept as Solution.

crut
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks apraetor, they have been very helpful for such an old version. I have tried backups to no avail. My helpful Agile source cannot advise further as version now unfamiliar.

Within 1PW3 the Vault could be transferred to Dropbox but there seems no way of transferring it back locally (although it's there) in this early version. 

Before Dropbox stopped being free (on 18th?) there was no problem.

I still believe 1PW is looking for a pref stored on Dropbox cloud from the way it behaves.

Best way prolly to recreate an account and learn how to transfer back locally?

crut
Helpful | Level 6
Thank TH, my help from Agile was direct email, will have to rejoin forum as my userid seems to have died long ago.

I prefer mac 10.6.8 though run latest OS externally so upgrading 1PW not possible.

Agile are VG, they gave me extensions for Chrome (but now Chrome I blocked from updates) and FF is still legacy.

As I said to apraetor maybe getting an account for DB will allow me to transfer back locally.

Will you please advise how this is done? Cannot find it on DB anywhere.

Mark
Super User II
I'd strongly suggest, being honest, crut asking that over at 1Password (where TH is also a moderator actually) as they will be able to help so much better than here. The people here can give you a rough idea of how to do it, but, as none of us really use or know 1P better than just using it (i.e. me!) I'd hate to tell you to do something that then corrupted stuff.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

crut
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks Mark, I just fixed it as you 'arrived.' I went right back to a backup pre-2011 and placed it in the DB folder. 1PW wanted to 'update' when opened and I was back to pre-Dropbox (DB) condition with @ 70 passwords. Just replaced the old Vault with current and fixed. Now to get Chrome/FF/Safari going.

Mark
Super User II
Woohoo

Well done 😄

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    crut Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?